Monday, August 3, 2009

Michigander Monday: Kim Delmar Cory

This week we welcome Kim Delmar Cory to Michigander Monday!

Debbie: Kim, please tell us a little about yourself.

Kim: Well, I grew up in the Detroit area, came to MSU in 1972 (I rhymed!) and stayed in the Lansing area. I’m married to Loren and we have a daughter, Amanda, 26, a son, Justin, 23, two dogs, three cats and no room at the inn. I’ve taught and advised at Lansing Community College part time for 22 years. I teach how to write for children through the Institute of Children’s Literature. I also have a tattoo written in Latin on my ankle: “cacoethes scribendi.” I’ll let you figure it out. :)

Debbie: And tell us about your latest book.

Kim: Tending Ben’s Garden, my 4th mid grade Michigan based historical novel, is due for release some time this year. It’s set in 1931, Grand Rapids, Michigan. It is a work of my heart as it is based upon the closeness of my children to each other. I pondered one day what Amanda would do to bring her little brother home if he was sent away. It’s a story of stubborn sibling love. It was a joy to write as I got to ‘spend time’ with my children when they were young again when writing the book. I refuse to put away the photographs I used from when they were little. They were so cute!

Debbie: Other books, and projects on the horizon?

Kim: My current work in progress is called Angels Grieve. This is based upon a true event of child abuse. The title is derived from St. Thomas Aquinas- “Therefore angels grieve for the ills of those whom they guard.”

It’s one of the most difficult stories I’ve worked on because of the subject matter. It’s set in Northern Michigan, 1966. Much of the story is based upon personal interview. Twelve year old Lucas spends three nights in the woods after running away from an abusive aunt. It’s his rite of passage. It’s dedicated to abused children everywhere: “May their stories be heard and their hearts healed.”

Debbie: What an intense writing experience that must be. Such a difficult topic to take on.

Kim, do you have any upcoming appearances scheduled?

Kim: I will be hosting a table of my books in Author’s Row on August 29th at the First Annual Rockford Reading Festival, Rockford, Michigan. And I love visiting schools and hope to visit many this coming school year.

Debbie: Your favorite place in Michigan?

Kim: Mackinac Island, without a doubt! My third novel, Home to Mackinac, (2006) is set in the late 1800s there. I was commissioned to write it by Mackinac State Historic Parks. We visit my Island several times a year but it is never enough. I’m trying to figure out how I can live there with my own horse. (Don’t have one yet). :)

Debbie: Favorite Michigan events and happenings?

Kim: Lilac Festival on Mackinac Island. 4th of July on Mackinac Island. Autumn on Mackinac Island . Do you sense a theme here? :)

Debbie: I think I know where you spend your free time! Kim, how about a few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Kim: I don’t get out much- writers rarely do, but I enjoyed being stationed at a table next to author/illustrator Ruth McNally Barshaw at a Monroe Library presentation a year or so ago. She lives in Lansing like me and we had a lot of fun.

Debbie: I second your opinion about Ruth! She's great.

How about something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about our state?

Kim: Not only are we the state with the coolest shape, but Michigan offers an amazingly rich history. Hence my love of writing about Michigan in the ‘olden’ days. (Does this include Angel’s Grieve set in 1966?)

Debbie: Well, 1966 was before I was born, so that can be 'olden' days. But 1967 -- now that's modern!

Finally, some residents of Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders; others Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: Are you a "Michigander" or a "Michiganian"?

Kim: I’m not sure. It’s really never come up in conversation, but I do love the Michigania store which leans towards the second choice. But most likely I’d go with the Michigander, flap my wings and honk.

Debbie: Kim, thanks for being here today!

No comments: