Monday, October 27, 2008

Michigander Monday: Amy Young

This week we welcome Amy Young for our Michigander Monday profile. Let's get to know her!

Debbie: Please tell us a little about yourself.

Amy: I have always loved to draw and make up stories. I also love animals, children and chocolate. I think that covers all of the important stuff.

Debbie: And, of course, we want to know all about your latest book!

Amy: It is Belinda Begins Ballet, the fourth in the Belinda the Ballerina series. Belinda's teacher, Mrs. Rhino, chooses Belinda to play the clown in a skit for the school talent show. Her feet are perfect for floppy clown shoes. But after seeing an older girl soar big across the stage as a ballerina, Belinda has other plans....

Debbie: And your other books, and any books and projects on the horizon?

Amy: I am working on two stories right now. One is The Mud Fairy, about a fairy who has more fun getting muddy with frogs than being dainty with the other fairies. The other is Alice and Bubba, about a cat whose life is perfect, thank you very much, until a boisterous puppy comes along to ruin everything.

Debbie: Upcoming appearances?

Amy: I have a variety of school talks and video conference programs going on. Open to the public is my appearance at The Kalamazoo Public Library on April 23rd at 7 pm. It should be a lot of fun!

Debbie: Your favorite place or places in Michigan?

Amy: I love where we live, in Spring Lake in Western Michigan -- it is so pretty. But I also love the Leelanau Peninsula and its environs. My husband and I have fun poking around discovering new places and adventures.

Debbie: Favorite Michigan event or happening?

Amy: Irish music on Wednesday nights at Fenian's Irish Pub in Conklin (I play Irish whistle).

Debbie: A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Amy: Margaret Willey, Laurie Keller and Sue Stauffacher are three of my all time favorite Michigan author/illustrators, not to mention my very good friends.

Debbie: Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about our state?

Amy: Lake Michigan is really, really big. You can't see across it. (This surprises people, believe me!)

Debbie: Some residents of Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders; others, Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: Are you a "Michigander" or a "Michiganian"?

Amy: I am totally a "Michigander." Or does that automatically make me a "Michigoose?"

Debbie: Amy, whether Michigander or Michigoose, we're very glad you to have had you here this week! Thank you!!

No comments: