Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Notice How The Words In This Title Streel Across The Page?

I ran across a word today that was new to me: streel.

Over at Merriam-Webster Online, there are two entries for the word. The verb form means to saunter idly, or, to trail like a streamer. The noun [unfortunately I can't give you a direct link; use the previous link and then click on Entry 2] means, if I may paraphrase, a slob.

Both forms are chiefly Irish (which is maybe why I didn't find the word in my home dictionary), but the word has a pleasing sound to it and streels along nicely.

1 comment:

EJ said...

Good Play.

Excellent word.