Friday, August 21, 2015

Reading Poem

It's been so long since I've posted on this blog that I figured I should pop in and at least dust things off a bit. Summer has been a busy time, but when the school year gets underway, I'll be back to posting here more regularly. And Michigander Monday will definitely resume!

In the meantime, here's a little poem for those of you who work with kids and might like to offer a bit of reading encouragement.  I'm thinking of putting it on a bookmark to give to kids, but haven't gotten around to that yet.  I suppose it's more of jingle than a poem, but anyway, here goes...


Grab a book and take a break.
Books are full of fun!
When you're finished, if there's time,
Don't just stop at one.

Every single book you try
Makes your brain grow stronger.
Books delight and books inspire,
So read a little longer!

4 comments:

ShackaZoolu said...

My friends at work just asked if my son likes it when I read to him.....Of course he does! He just turned 3 and has Down Syndrome, and reading is our favorite thing to do. I was so happy that they recommended the Pout Pout Fish, as I'm sure he will love the story and pictures. You can't go wrong when 4 people start quoting the story together to you at the nurses' station! Thank you for creating such an awesome kids character

Debbie Diesen said...

ShackaZoolu, thank you for your kind words about The Pout-Pout Fish! Mr. Fish has been a fun character to write about, and Dan Hanna's art really brought him to life delightfully. I hope your son enjoys the story. I'm so happy to know that you and your son enjoy reading together. As I like to say, a book a day keeps the pout-pouts away! Please tell your son hello from me. Happy Reading to you both!

Erin Brady said...

This is wonderful! Would you mind if I printed the poem myself onto bookmarks for use in our Little Free Library?

Debbie Diesen said...

Erin, I apologize for my delay in responding! Your comment somehow went into a spam comments file (even though it wasn't spam), and so I didn't see it until I discovered that folder today. But yes, you're welcome to use the poem! Include my name as the poem's author if you don't mind. Thanks for having a Little Free Library. Happy Reading!