Sunday, July 5, 2015

Free bookmarks for classrooms and other places where readers hang out

In our area, the school year ended less than a month ago, so I'm definitely not in back-to-school mode yet. But I know some schools get rolling in early August, so I wanted to mention to those of you who are teachers that I have some bookmarks I'd be happy to send your way for your students for back-to-school.

I have two bookmark designs especially for classrooms.  One features Mr. Fish and quotes the reassuring theme of The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School (illustrated by Dan Hanna):

You are smart.
You can get it.
You belong.
Don't forget it!

The other design features the cover of Picture Day Perfection (illustrated by Dan Santat) and gives a bit of reading encouragement:

Books help us picture life's possibilities, so read lots of them!

Those two bookmarks, with their emphasis on learning and reading, work well in the classroom, especially on the milestones of First Day and of Picture Day.

In addition, I have some holiday-themed bookmarks, to go along with the forthcoming The Not Very Merry Pout-Pout Fish.  The message on that bookmark echoes the book's conclusion:

Peace, joy, and love -- what a very merry gift!

The bookmarks are sized 2" x 6". The back of each bookmark has a list of my other books.


If you're interested in some bookmarks for your classroom, I'd love to send some your way.

Those of you who are booksellers or librarians, I'm happy to send bookmarks for a story time or a display.

And I'm always happy to send bookmarks to anyone who would like some for their own use or to share with friends.

If you'd like some bookmarks, please email me (deborah [at] deborahdiesen [dot] com). Let me know which style(s) you'd like, how many, your mailing address, and when you will need them by.  [NOTE :  I will be traveling quite a bit during November 2015. Because of this, my response time to emails in November and early December will be delayed.  My apologies!  But I’ll reply as soon as I can.  Thank you for your patience.]

I generally sign the bookmarks before sending, but if you'd prefer I leave the signing spot blank so you can write your own message there, let me know that and I'll skip the signing.

I'll take this post down once I run out of bookmarks, but until then, I've got plenty.

Thank you for sharing the joy of books and reading -- and the fun of bookmarks!

9 comments:

Carrie Dawley said...

Hi, Debbie!

I love your book, Picture Day Perfection. I read it to my students on our Fall picture day. They think it's the funniest thing! I appreciate the voice that you've expressed in your writing. It is a great mentor text during our writer's workshop to show the students how to include their own voice in the writing.

A friend also introduced me to the Pout Pout Fish books last year. I was completely oblivious to the fact that those were written by the same author as Picture Day Perfection! Silly me. I really don't pay attention. Haha!

Anyway. Great work on the books! The writing is fantastic, and I enjoy reading them aloud to my students.

Carrie
Make Time for Glitter!

Lindsley Meyer said...

I am reading all the Show Me Readers in the Library and I would love to have bookmakers to go with Picture Day Perfection.

Thank you,
Lindsley Meyer

Debbie Diesen said...

Lindsley, your comment got snagged in my comment filter for some reason, so I'm just recently seeing it. If you're still interested in bookmarks, let me know. Sorry for the delay!!

Carleigh said...

Hi Debbie, I'm a huge fan of your books, and I would love to have some bookmarks to share with my school library! If you still have bookmarks to share, I would appreciate as many as you are willing to send. We have over 800 kids in our elementary school, including 7 kindergarten classes, and they love bookmarks. Please let me know what info you need!

Thank you for your generosity and your lovely books,
Carleigh

Debbie Diesen said...

Carleigh, if you could email me your school address, I'll get some bookmarks in the mail to you. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Hello Debbie, I am a parent volunteer along with two other parents that run our children's school library we would love to get some free bookmarks sent to our school it will be highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Elizabeth Sanchez
Torrance Elementary school
2125 Lincoln Ave
Torrance CA, 90501

Julie DeFino said...

Our students LOVE your books! We have a small elementary school with 250 students, would love some of your bookmarks!

Thank you so much!

Julie DeFino
Cordley LMA

Cordley Elementary
1837 Vermont Street
Lawrence, KS 66044

cathyriehl said...

Hi!
I was wondering if you still have free bookmarks? My kiddos at school really enjoy having new bookmarks! thanks!

Debbie Diesen said...

Cathy, I do! Email me (deborah[at]deborahdiesen[dot]com) with your address and number of students, and I can get those mailed to you. Thanks!