Monday, February 2, 2015

Michigander Monday, Mini-Edition: Kristen Remenar

Today’s Michigander Monday interview is a special mini-edition.  The fabulous Kristen Remenar will be back here later in the year for a full-length Michigander Monday interview, but for reasons that we’ll get to momentarily, I thought today would be a great day to introduce you to Kris and her forthcoming book.  And since the date today is 2/2, let’s go with a 2 theme for the questions!

Debbie:  Kris, please tell us two things about your forthcoming book.

Kris:
1. My editor called me on Groundhog's Day to tell me she wanted to acquire my book about Groundhog's Day, a lovely bit of kismet she arranged, which shows you how awesome my editor is.
2. Groundhog's Dilemma is illustrated by Matt Faulkner, an award-winning author/illustrator and a fabulous husband (mine).

Debbie:  And two things about you!

Kris:
1. I was born on Groundhog's Day.
2. Every year I wish the groundhog would make Spring come early, but I live in Michigan, so long winters are kind of a given.

Debbie:  How about two things about Matt Faulkner?

Kris:
1. Groundhog's Dilemma is the 39th book Matt has illustrated.
Sample sketches by Matt Faulkner
2. Like the squirrel in our book, Matt is fond of nuts, especially walnuts. (If you really want to win him over, bake the walnuts in chocolate chip cookies.)

Debbie:  Two things we probably don’t know about Groundhog’s Day.

Kris:
1. People in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania have been celebrating Groundhog's Day for over 125 years.
2. Groundhogs whistle when they are scared, so in some parts of America they are called "whistle pigs."

Debbie:  Two fun facts about your library.

Kris:
1. I've been a children's librarian at the Orion Township Public Library for over a decade.
2. Our town, Lake Orion, is probably the only place in the world where O-r-i-o-n is properly pronounced "ORE-ee-un".

Debbie:  Two words that rhyme with Remenar.  

Kris:
1. Seminar! I've been teaching seminars on early literacy and the best books to build reading skills for five years. I can't wait for the first seminar when I get to feature my very own picture book!
2. Phlegm-enar (a nickname I did not like in middle school)

Debbie:  Your two favorite knock-knock jokes.

Kris:
1. Knock knock.
Who's there?
Sam and Janet.
Sam and Janet who?
Sam-and-Janet evening, when you find your true love....

2. Knock knock
Who's there?
Juno.
Juno who?
Juno I'm out here, so let me in!

Debbie:  And finally, two places we can find out more about you.

Kris:
2. On Facebook as Kristen Remenar

Debbie:  Kris, thank you so much for being here today.  Happy Groundhog's Day, and Happy Birthday!  We're all looking forward to the publication of Groundhog's Dilemma.  Can't wait!

3 comments:

Buffy Silverman said...

Double thanks for a splendid interview!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Totally fun. Totally awesome interview. Thanks, Kris and Debbie.

sandycarlson.com said...

Yay, Debbie. Yay, Kris. Keep rolling in words, you two! (Fun interview, too)