Monday, July 28, 2014

Michigander Monday: Bethany Neal

I'm pleased to welcome Bethany Neal to Michigander Monday!

Debbie:  Bethany, please tell us a little about yourself.

Bethany:  Well, I was born and raised in Saginaw, MI and now I live in Ann Arbor. It took me awhile to figure out I was a writer. I graduated from Bowling Green State University with a degree in interior design and I've also worked as a photographer and teacher's aid. Now that I'm writing, though, I can't get enough!

Debbie:  And, of course, we want to know all about your book.

Bethany:  Of course! My Last Kiss is about a girl named Cassidy Haines who wakes up the morning after her seventeenth birthday party...dead. Worst birthday present ever, right?! Everyone assumes she committed suicide because of a note she was holding when she died, but the more she observes from her friends and slowly starts to remember about that fateful night, the more she is convinced someone she trusted is responsible for her death. It's a mystery/thriller/love story, and I hope you all love it!

Debbie:  Other books or projects on the horizon?

Bethany:  Always. I have so many crazy ideas that I don't have enough time to write them all. My agent just submitted a new project, so hopefully I'll be able to tell everyone more about that soon. All I can say is that it's creepy and deadly! I'm also working on a brand spankin' new book, so there are things all over the place in various stages.

Debbie:  Upcoming appearances?

Bethany:  I will be at my hometown Barnes & Noble in Saginaw, MI on August 2nd for an event they're hosting called Get Pop Cultured, but before that I'll be at Literati Bookstore on Monday, July 28th to discuss My Last Kiss with their inaugural Teen Book Club. I'm super psyched about this one because I helped nudge Literati into hosting a teen version of their regular book club. I'm also very honored that they chose my book to be their first. It should be a blast!

Debbie:  Do you have a favorite Michigan bookstore? And/or a favorite Michigan library?

Bethany:  I was just at McLean and Eakin up in Petoskey for a signing & writing workshop and it was phenomenal! The staff their are so knowledgeable and total book people. Plus there's a store dog named Edith. What more could you ask for? I don't think I could choose a favorite library. Too many to pick from!

Debbie:  How about a favorite place in Michigan?

Bethany:  I love going to Bronner's in Frankenmuth. Does that count?

Debbie:  Absolutely.  Do you have a Michigan event or happening that you love to attend?

Bethany:  I love going to the Renaissance Festival in Holly, but I always end up being accosted by a random performer, which makes my introvert alarm sound. It's a love/hate relationship with me and the Renaissance Fest.

Debbie:  A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Bethany:  Well, living in Ann Arbor, the new buzz is that Madonna's daughter Lourdes is going to be a freshman at U of M this coming fall. Not sure that counts for anything, but it's happening.

Debbie:  Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about Michigan?

Bethany:  We're the nation's high five. (Get it, 'cause of the mitten?)

Debbie:  Love it!  Last question.  Some folks in Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders, others as Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: are you a Michigander or a Michiganian?

Bethany:  Oh, I'm a gander all the way!

Debbie:  Bethany, we'll add you to the Michigander column!  And thank you for joining us for Michigander Monday!

No comments: