Monday, December 16, 2013

Michigander Monday: Sherri Winston

I'm pleased to welcome Sherri Winston to Michigander Monday!

Debbie:  Sherri, please tell us a little about yourself.

Sherri:  Hi, I have two teen daughters, multiple cats, two turtles and share custody with my sister’s little dog. I love to bake cupcakes and hope to one day create, illustrate and write my own graphic novel.

Debbie:  And, of course, we want to know all about your books.

Sherri:  With Little, Brown, I’ve published The Kayla Chronicles and President of the Whole Fifth Grade. The Kayla Chronicles takes place in Florida and follows the story of Mikayala Alicia Dean (MAD), also known as Kayla, as she goes from shy-girl-in-the-corner to a high-stepping, high-kicking kick-butt dancer on her school’s nationally ranked dance team. President of the Whole Fifth Grade takes place in a fictitious Detroit suburb, Orchard Park. It’s imagined based on Redford Township, which I know well. In President, Brianna Justice wants to be President because she sees it as a stepping stone to becoming a millionaire cupcake maker and TV show star. The book was almost as fun to write as the recipes were to test and eat.

Debbie:  Other books or projects on the horizon?

Sherri:  I have just received the go-ahead to write President of the Whole Sixth Grade. I’m very excited.

Debbie:  Upcoming appearances?

Sherri:  Nothing’s scheduled yet, but I’m going to work on it for the New Year.

Debbie:  Do you have a favorite Michigan library?

Sherri:  I grew up in Muskegon, Mich., and one of my favorite childhood pastimes was going to the Hackley Library in downtown Muskegon. Also, in 2012 I had the pleasure of visiting a beautiful library in Whitehall with a running trail around it and a fireplace inside. Lovely!

Debbie:  How about a favorite place in Michigan?

Sherri:  That’s hard to say, but if I could only pick one place in all of Michigan, it would have to be the campus at Michigan State University! Go Green! Go White!

Debbie:  Do you have a Michigan event or happening that you love to attend?

Sherri:  Since I live in Florida now, land of perpetual summer, I love coming home in the fall to photograph the leaves and/or winter to get gorgeous shots of the snow.

Debbie:  A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Sherri:  Author Margaret Wiley was instrumental in bringing me to Michigan last year. Because of her I had a chance to really visit and have an impact on a number of Elementary schools. She is an outstanding person and I am so happy to have gotten to know her.

Debbie:  Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about Michigan?

Sherri:  Michigan is filled with tough, smart, creative folks. My father’s family migrated from Mississippi, but to hear my Uncle Mac talk about the virtues of Michigan, you’d surely think he was a native. Non-Michiganders may not understand our deep connection to our state, but those of us blessed to call it home -- be it in residence or in our hearts -- cannot deny the positive impact of growing up Michigan. I love it!

Debbie:  Last question.  Some folks in Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders, others as Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally, which is the better term: Michigander or Michiganian?

Sherri:  I am, without question, a Michigander.

Debbie:  Sherri, we'll add you to the Michigander column!  Such a pleasure to have you here today for Michigander Monday.  Thank you!

1 comment:

Ann Finkelstein said...

These look like fun books - a few more for my "to read" list.