Friday, November 1, 2013

Mortimer Minute



I was recently tagged by the fabulous Buffy Silverman for a Mortimer Minute post.  After hitting the bunny snooze alarm a few times, here goes with my (overdue) Mortimer Minute!

Mortimer:  Are you aware that this post is two weeks overdue?

Debbie:  Does that count as my first question?

Mortimer:  Do you always answer questions with questions?  (sigh) (hop)  To answer your question, No.  Now please leave the questions to me.  And your first question is....  Are you a poet?

Debbie:  I think of myself as someone who is interested in poetry, and someone who enjoys poetry, and someone who likes to write stories in rhyme, but "poet" is still something I aspire to rather than embody.  Being a poet is, I believe, not so much a condition as a work in progress.  So I figure I'm a very early draft of a poet.  Maybe someday.

Mortimer:  A poem you wish you'd written?

Debbie:  Probably if you asked this question of me a thousand times, you'd get a thousand different answers.  But today I'll pick something from the category of short, fun, funny, and memorable, and go with Richard Armour's poem about ketchup:  Shake and shake / the catsup bottle / first none'll come / and then a lot'll.  (Note:  The poem has several slight variations ((and I personally prefer the rhythm of "first a little" which is often substituted in line three)), and it is frequently attributed to Ogden Nash; but I believe Richard Armour is the original author of it?  If you know otherwise, let me know.)

Mortimer:  Favorite resource for writing in rhyme?

Debbie:  Sue Young's The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary.

Mortimer:  Anything else you'd like us to know?

Debbie:  Isn't that your fifth question?

Mortimer:  Do you really think bunnies know how to count?

Debbie:  Do I really think bunnies know how to talk?

Mortimer:  I think what you meant to say was, "Thanks for the interview, Mortimer."

Debbie:  Thanks for the interview, Mortimer!

Mortimer:  You're welcome.  Now go work on that poet draft of yours.

Debbie:  Will do.  (Hops away to resume reading Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled.)  Bye Mortimer!  Catch you around!

hop, hop, hop

3 comments:

Buffy Silverman said...

Somebunny posted your link at Poetry Friday (I think it was Mortimer...he hopes you don't mind.) An early draft of a poet?? Somebunny might disagree.

LInda Baie said...

Hi Debbie, I am glad to see you here with Mortimer, thanks to Buffy's invitation. Your interaction with Mortimer sounded as if he was a bit feisty this time. I hope you are okay, and I enjoyed hearing that you are reading The Ode Less Travelled, a really interesting book about poetry. Thanks for sharing your time hopping!

Renee LaTulippe said...

Hey, great to see you and Mortimer together! He's a rascal, but you handled him well. Love the self-definition of "poet draft," though I beg to differ. :)