Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nut-free dipped pretzels without the fuss

Occasionally on this blog, I share a recipe.  (OK, so, by occasionally, I mean "once in a blue moon."  I'll admit that cooking skills are not my strong suit!)

This recipe is not a gourmet creation, but it's an easy way to make nut-free dipped pretzels.  We've got coated-pretzel lovers in the family; but we've also got nut-allergies in the family.  And in my experience, most commercially available chocolate or candy-coated pretzels have ingredient lists that indicate the possibility of nut ingredients.  Hence the motivation to figure out how to make our own (despite my "please don't make me go into the kitchen!" tendencies).

To make the slacker version of individually dipped pretzels, you'll need about 1/2 lb. of nut-free pretzels and 1/2 lb. nut-free vanilla or chocolate candy coating.  (If you've got a big enough bowl, you can use 1 lb. each, but I go with 1/2 bags.)





Put the pretzels in a big bowl.  In a separate bowl, melt the candy coating according to package directions.  (We go with one minute in the microwave, stir, 15 seconds, stir, 15 seconds, stir, etc.)



Pour the coating over the pretzels. Stir gently but thoroughly.  I use a flexible spatula so I can scrape and scoop the bottom of the bowl as I stir.  You want the coating on the pretzels, not the bowl.




Spread the coated pretzels out on a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper.


After the coating has set for about 3 or 4 minutes (so that it's no longer shiny, but not yet entirely hard), separate the pretzels from one another.

Makes approximately ten or twelve or so snack servings.

That's it!  You're done!  Go eat them!

No comments: