Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday Workout Review: Kari Anderson's "Center Floor"

It's been a while since I've posted a Wednesday Workout Review.  (As with most of my blog features, this one tends to ebb and flow...)  But I've actually encountered quite a few great workout DVDs lately, so I'm going to try to catch up on posting about them, and then get back in the swing of a workout review every week or so.

The DVD I'm featuring today is Kari Anderson's Center Floor:  Strength, Length, and Flow.  One of Kari's previous workout DVDs, Reach, has been a long-time favorite of mine, so I looked forward to trying out this new one.  I was not disappointed.  I like it just as much as Reach.

The full Center Floor workout runs 55 minutes.  It's divided into chapters, so you can certainly do a shorter version; but if you can find a way to make time for the whole thing, I highly recommend it.  There's a nice arc to the workout:  it holds together well and feels complete when it's done.

You start with standing work, then proceed to some floor work, followed by stretching.  Many of the moves are ballet-inspired, but not in an intimidating or confusing way (if I can manage to keep my two left feet on track during it, so can you).  Challenging, but not overwhelming:  steps and movements build on one another and come together nicely.  It's the sort of workout where you work hard during it but by the end feel invigorated rather than exhausted.

There's a pleasant, what I'd call "classy" overall feel to it.  Kari Anderson comes across as authentic and gracious - no pretense, no persona.  I think that's what allows one to feel so relaxed even while working hard.  The music is nice, too.  It's described on the DVD case as "upbeat world music combined with smooth calming rhythms," and I'd say that describes it well.

Overall, a really nice workout DVD.

A few other reviews herehere, and here, or head over to Kari's site for more information about this and her other DVDs.

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the review. I'm looking for some DVD's or TV exercise shows when the weather's too bad to walk. I really have no excuse there though right now. I need to walk.