Sunday, January 8, 2012

Michigan Notable Books 2012 Reading Challenge

After meaning to do so for several years, last year I hosted a "Michigan Notable Books Reading Challenge" here on my blog.  I'm happy to say that I'm doing so again this year.  I'm not affiliated in any way with Notable Books, but I think it's a really terrific program; so my Reading Challenge is meant to be a small show of support for the program and for the wonderful books selected for it.

So what's involved involved in the Reading Challenge?

Rest assured, it's a totally No Stress reading challenge.  Bottom line:  If you’re willing to commit to reading at least two of the books on the 2012 Michigan Notable Books list, at some point in the next year or so, you’ll have a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to a Michigan independent bookstore.

Do you have to live in Michigan to participate?  NO.

Do you have to tell me which two books you're reading?  NO.

Do you have to read the books by a particular date?  NO.

Like I said, it's a totally No Stress reading challenge.  We aim to please here at Jumping The Candlestick.

Here's all you do need to do:

1.  Take a look at the 2012 Michigan Notable Books list.
Titles are listed below.  If you'd like more details, you can find further description of each book by clicking here.

2.  Choose two books you'd like to read.
You do NOT have to read them by a particular date.  Just some time within your lifetime.  Timetable is totally your call.

3.  Inform me that you're participating.
Inform me how?  Well, you can comment on this blog post.  Or you can tell me when you see me.  Or you can send me an email ( deborah [at] deborahdiesen [dot] com ).  Or you can write a note in invisible ink and send it by carrier pigeon.  Method is totally up to you.

That's it!  If you do those three things, you're entered for a chance to win.  One Lucky Reader will win a $50 gift certificate to a Michigan independent bookstore.  The winner chooses which bookstore.  (Note that most bookstores have online ordering options, so even if you live out of state, you'll be able to redeem your prize.)

Some optional things:

1.  If you let other folks know about this reading challenge, I'll put your name in the hat twice.  Are you required to let others know in a particular way?  No.  You can email friends a link to this page; you can mention the challenge at the office water cooler; you can share on your FaceBook page; you can tweet; you can work out an arrangement with your friendly local carrier pigeon.  Or, of course, there's the ever-popular Michigan Notable Books tattoo option.  It's your call.  Any spreading-of-the-word counts -- just let me know you've done so and I'll double your hat entries.

2.  If you end up really excited about one of the books that you read, I'd be happy to have you do a Guest Blog Post about the book.  Totally optional, totally your call, but if you're interested, let me know.

3.  Lansing area folks, there's usually a public reception for the Notable authors in the spring at the State Library - you might want to go to it.  I generally attend the function (it's a great opportunity to meet writers and learn more about their work; and there's generally a keynote speaker - great fun to hear).  I'd encourage any of you who are in the area to attend as well.

4.  Special Note:  If you're an author who's on the list, you can still participate in the Challenge - you just can't read your own book as one of your two books.

As for timetable?

Well, like most things related to my blog, I'm a bit loosey-goosey.  But let's try to have sign-ups by January 31 February 15.  I'll plan do the gift certificate drawing around February 15 (though if by any change I extend the sign-up period, I might end up with a March 1 drawing).  Stay tuned for details; but all things considered, I'd prefer you sign up sooner rather than later.  Thankee.
[2/4/12 note - I've updated deadlines - still plenty of time to sign up!]

Now, without further ado, here are the 2012 Michigan Notable Books:

Elly Peterson: "Mother" of the Moderates by Sara Fitzgerald (University of Michigan Press)

Everyday Klansfolk: White Protestant Life and the KKK in 1920s Michigan by Craig Fox (Michigan State University Press)

Fever: Little Willie John, A Fast Life, Mysterious Death and the Birth of Soul by Susan Whitall (Titan Books)

Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them, Contemporary Michigan Literature edited by Keith Taylor and Laura Kasischke (Wayne State University Press)

Hank Greenberg: The Hero Who Didn't Want to Be One by Mark Kurlansky (Yale University Press)

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life by Michael Moore (Grand Central Publishing)

In Stitches: A Memoir by Anthony Youn, M.D. (Gallery Books)

Jacobson's, I Miss It So: The Story Of A Michigan Fashion Institute by Bruce Allen Kopytek (History Press)

Magic Trash: A Story of Tyree Guyton and His Art by J.H. Shapiro and illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton (Charlesbridge)

Michigan and the Civil War: A Great and Bloody Sacrifice by Jack Dempsey (The History Press)

Misery Bay by Steve Hamilton (Minotaur Books)

Miss Martin Is a Martian by Colleen Murray Fisher and illustrated by Jared Chapman (Mackinac Island Press)

Motor City Shakedown by D. E. Johnson (Minotaur Books)

A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis by Matt De La Pena and illustrated by Kadir Nelson (Dial Books for Young Readers)

Once Upon a Car: The Fall and Resurrection of America's Big Three Automakers-GM, Ford, and Chrysler by Bill Vlasic (William Morrow)

Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell (Norton)

Songs of Unreason by Jim Harrison (Copper Canyon Press)

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood (Riverhead Books)

Vintage Views Along the West Michigan Pike: From Sand Trails to US-31 by M. Christine Byron and Thomas R. Wilson (Arbutus Press)
Wire to Wire by Scott Sparling (Tin House Books)

12 comments:

Kiviex said...

OK, Deborah. I'm going to read Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them, Contemporary Michigan Literature and Songs of Unreason. I love reading challenges.

Oh, yeah, I shared your fb status so my friends could enter, too.

Kathleen said...

I will be reading In Stitches: A Memoir and Songs of Unreason.

PS. I'm Colleen Murray Fisher, author of Michigan Notable Book, Miss Martin is a Martian. I look forward to seeing you at the author reception in the spring if you do attend.

Michigan Notable Books said...

Hi Debbie, I'll join in. I have South of Superior right now, so that's the first one I'll read, and then I'll pick another one, probably Tyree Guyton's, because I love that guy. Really had a great time after I met him. P.S. I am no longer with the Notable Books program, so need to figure out how to update that Google Account... Will work on that right now!

Kim Laird said...

testing. and fixed!

Carol Grund said...

Hi Debbie, love this idea! I'm already reading South of Superior, and just helped fill out an application for CADL to host several authors this spring, so I'll defnitely be reading those books. Put my name in the hat and thanks for doing this!

NoelleP said...

Can't wait to read these books! I think I'll be reading more than two :)And sharing this blog on my facebook page.

CateKegs said...

Here Comes Trouble for sure and the other book I want to read is the one Being a White Protestant and the KKK in the 1920s Michigan. I am Cate Kager from Erie,PA. I gave both my daughters Here Comes Trouble, signed, for Christmas then I got one for myself!I love this bookseller site!

Hannah S said...

Hi Debbie! I'll be reading Once Upon a River for sure, and my Mom just finished Here Comes Trouble, so maybe I'll go for that one as my second!

PS. I just shared your post on my facebook page!

Gina Gort said...

I will read Songs of Unreason and South of Superior!

Rita O'Brien said...

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for adding me to your mass email! I'll join in the reading challenge! Thanks!!
-Rita

Gay Anderson said...

I've already read and loved two of them (South of Superior and Once Upon a River), but I see a couple more that I plan to read too, so count me in!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Better late than never. I'm in. I'm still deciding which books (yeah, I'm slow about that too).