Monday, September 5, 2011

Michigander Monday: Jannie Ho

I'm pleased to welcome Jannie Ho to Michigander Monday!

Debbie:  Jannie, tell us a little about yourself.

Jannie:  My name is Jannie Ho (pronounced Jane-nee) and I've been a children's book illustrator for over 5 years now. I studied illustration at Parsons School of Design. I worked as a designer and an art director for various publishing houses before following my dream as a children's book illustrator. I moved from New York to Ann Arbor 2 years ago when my husband got a post doctoral position at the University of Michigan.

Debbie:  And, of course, we want to know all about your books!

JannieThe Haunted Ghoul Bus and The Great Reindeer Rebellion, both written by Lisa Trumbauer, published by Sterling, are some of the first books I've illustrated. I've also illustrated many board books, the most recent being What Does Cow Say?, written by Joan Holub, published by Cartwheel books.

Debbie:  Other books and projects on the horizon?

Jannie:  I have a picture book coming out in September, Road Work Ahead, written by Anastasia Suen and illustrated by me. Its published by Viking and its filled with fun transportation and road work vehicles, which I hope to be a hit with boys (and girls too!)  And a fun Halloween book- Halloween Howlers: Frightfully Funny Knock-Knock Jokes written by Michael Teitelbaum, published by HarperFestival.

Debbie:  Jannie, do you have a favorite Michigan library?

Jannie:  The AADL (Ann Arbor District Library) is absolutely amazing. I can't rave more about it. They have incredible events and workshops that are fun for all ages. Its been a great venue for me to meet new people and learn new things.

Debbie:  How about a Michigan event or happening that you love to attend?

Jannie:  This past summer, I participated in Kids Read Comics, a free event celebrating the art of comics, that was held in Chelsea. It was inspiring to meet other professional and young artists alike. It was also a great event to meet writers, librarians, and teachers too!

Debbie:  Jannie, thank you so much for joining us today!

To learn more about Jannie Ho and her books, visit her web site and her blog.  And look for her books at your favorite library or bookstore!

1 comment:

Ann Finkelstein said...

Great interview. I like the Ann Arbor library too. I'll keep an eye out for Janie's books.