Monday, August 15, 2011

Michigander Monday: Howard Binkow

I'm pleased to welcome Howard Binkow to Michigander Monday!

Debbie:  Howard, tell us a little about yourself and your books.

Howard:  I was born in Michigan and graduated from the University of Michigan. I started writing and publishing late in life. I am now the CEO of the We Do Listen Non Profit Foundation and devoting my life to help children.  A group of us have created the Howard B. Wigglebottom series of picture books and songs. They are helping young children become better listeners, learn important life lessons and feel good about themselves. Lessons like anger management, telling the truth, moderation, dealing with divorce, peer pressure, bully issues, learning disorders and the power of giving. Our next book, Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns About Sportsmanship: Winning Isn’t Everything will be available later this year.

Debbie:  Upcoming appearances?

Howard:  It’s important for me to have direct contact with our readers. I travel around the country and visit elementary schools to spend quality time with the children.  Schools interested in a free author visit should contact me at http://www.wedolisten.com.

Debbie:  Favorite things about Michigan?

Howard:  The best thing about Michigan is the people. Most of my close friends are Michiganders (or is it Michigoosers?).  I know I am painting this with a large brush but us hicks from the Midwest have some values I really like. My theory is that because there aren’t as many things to do as other places, those of us from Michigan have more time to think about the benefits of being truthful.

I remain a loyal Michigan football fan even when they experiment with new coaches. My favorite bookstore was the Borders in Ann Arbor. My favorite place in Michigan is Harbor Springs. My favorite event is the Fourth of July parade in Harbor Springs. My two all-time favorite Michigan restaurants are Julierettes in Harbor Springs and Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit.

We love to hear from children, their parents and teachers. I can be contacted through our website, http://www.wedolisten.com/.

Debbie:  Howard, thank you so much for being with us today for Michigander Monday!

To learn more about Howard Binkow, his books, and his school programs, visit the We Do Listen web site.

No comments: