Monday, July 25, 2011

Michigander Monday: Andrea King Collier

This week I'm pleased to welcome writer Andrea King Collier to Michigander Monday!

Debbie:  Andrea, tell us a little about yourself.

Andrea:  I am a full-time journalist and book author. I have been doing my thing for the past 25 years. I am the mother of two adult children, and three if you count my husband of almost 30 years. I also teach writing.

Debbie:  And, of course, we want to know all about your books.


Andrea:  I have two books, Still With Me...A Daughter's Journey of Love and Loss, now available on Kindle. It is about mothers and daughters and the ties that bind us. And The Black Woman's Guide to Black Men's Health, from Warner Wellness. I am also in the anthology Fits, Starts and Matters of the Heart from Freelance Success.

Debbie:  Other books or projects on the horizon?

Andrea:  First novel. Coming out in Fall. Also a book of essays on turning 50.

Debbie:  Congratulations on both!  How about upcoming appearances?

Andrea:  None until the Fall. Taking the summer off.

Debbie:  Favorite Michigan bookstore? Favorite Michigan library?


Andrea:  I love the East Lansing Public Library. I adore Everybody Reads in Lansing. All the Schuler's--gotta plug the indies.

Debbie:  How about a favorite place in Michigan?

AndreaMy house. It is what keeps me coming back to Michigan after a long trip. Think Dorothy, Ruby Slippers, heel click--No Place Like Home.

Debbie:  Do you have a Michigan event or happening that you love to attend?

AndreaThe Detroit Jazz Festival is awesome. It draws folks from all over the country. And I love the food festivals that are popping up around the state. I am excited about the way that restaurants, farmers and growers, as well as wineries are branding the great assets here around food.

Debbie:  A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Andrea:  There are so many. One person I discovered recently is Tom Crawford out of Ann Arbor. He was my coach for my recent TEDX Lansing talk.  [Ed. note: you can catch part of Andrea's TEDx talk on YouTube - click here.]  He is also the father of this great cooking app called VizChef. He is creative on so many levels. Travis Tomlin, an amazing young photographer who has a great eye.

Debbie:  Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about Michigan?

Andrea:  There is a great arts/creativity community that is alive and well across the state.

Debbie:  Indeed!  I never cease to be amazed at all the talent in this state.  Finally, some folks in Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders; others as Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: are you a "Michigander" or a "Michiganian"?

Andrea:  I guess I would be a Michigander. But I have to say, that even though we moved here in 1989, I still feel more like a Hoosier/Chicagoan. Go figure.

Debbie:  We'll add you to the Michigander/Hoosier/Chicagoan column!  Andrea, thank you so much for being here with us today.

To learn more about Andrea King Collier and her books, visit her web site.  And be sure to check out her books at your favorite bookstore or library!

No comments: