Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday Workout Review: Denise Austin's "Blast Away 10 lbs"

I'm not really a big Denise Austin fan.

I say this with no disrespect, as I recognize that she's a hugely popular and inspiring fitness person, with loads of exercise DVDs to her credit, plus television shows, articles, on and on.  Her success speaks for itself.  But the thing about using exercise DVDs is that it's important to find folks who mesh with your own personal style, as it increases the likelihood that you'll stick with your good intentions of exercising regularly.  For me, I find Denise's onscreen persona to be a bit much.  She talks Non Stop, with Great Enthusiasm, and a Huge Smile.  It's just Too Much for the Eeyoresque amongst us!

So given all this, I don't know what possessed me to check out from the library her "Blast Away 10 lbs" DVD.

I further don't know what possessed me to stick the thing in my DVD player.  I mean, what was I thinking?  And sure enough, same scene:  annoyingly perky and excessive over-the-top chatter.  Ack!

And yet...

The first of the two twenty-minute workouts (the only one I've done enough to review; I'll abstain on the other one until I've done it more times) is incredibly effective and, well, fun!  Lots of kicking (something I've come to truly enjoy) and punching (also fun, even if my hooks, jabs, and crosses all pretty much look the same: think random flailing limb ((yes, I do sometimes get my legs and my arms mixed up)) and you've pretty much got the picture) delivered in a nonstop but doable package that will get your heart pumping in a hurry and make you feel great by the end of it.

Bottom line:  If you're looking for a short but intense cardio workout, and happen to enjoy kickboxing, this may just be for you.

(But if you watch it, I suggest you do like I do, and turn the volume Way Down.)

Other reviews here, herehere, and here.

No comments: