Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

It's been a while since I've posted a random recipe, so I thought it was about time for something food-related.  Here's a bit of baking that's quite popular around our house.  It's an adaptation of a recipe I originally found in Pillsbury's The Complete Book Of Baking.

Pumpkin Bread

3/4 c. flour (all-purpose flour or bread flour)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (traditional whole wheat or white whole wheat)
1/2 c. quinoa flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1/3 c. water
1.5 cups sugar
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. oil

Preheat the oven to 350.

Grease a 9x5 pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices.  (You can experiment with your spice mix -- I've used up to 2 tsp. cinnamon along with the nutmeg; sometimes I also add ground ginger and/or ground cloves.)

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, water, sugar, pumpkin, and oil.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Stir to combine well.

Put the batter in a greased 9x5 pan.  Bake for about 70 minutes.

Let cool 5 to 10 minutes in the pan.  Remove from pan (run a knife around the pan edges first, so the bread doesn't stick to the pan).  For best results, let the bread cool a while before you slice it (it will slice better that way) -- but it does definitely taste particularly wonderful when it's still warm!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Thanks for your comment. I didn't realize there was a sequel to the Pout-Pout Fish! We love the original and read it so often - even my 20 month old twins really like the rhythm and will sit through the entire book.

Love pumpkin bread - usually I make it at the end of the summer, when I'm starting to crave fall.

Debbie Diesen said...

Lisa, thanks for stopping by here! And for your kind words about The Pout-Pout Fish. :)

I think of pumpkin bread and fall together, too. I started making this pumpkin bread regularly last fall and just have never stopped - it's yummy!

formatie nunti said...

Interesting recipe, i will try it for sure. Tomorrow or in this weekend i will have time to try it, hope to make it good. Thanks for sharing this recipe