Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday Workout Review: "QuickFix Stability Ball Workout" - Abs Section

I see by my calendar that it's Wednesday!  Which means it's the day of the week that this blog wanders away from kidlit and Michlit and takes a look at fitlit.  (Well, technically, that should be "fitness media," but that hasn't the same ring to it as "fitlit.")  Anyway, whatever you call it, it's time to review a workout DVD.

Except I'm actually going to review just a third of a fitness DVD:  the abs segment of the QuickFix Stability Ball Workout.  There are two other segments to the DVD, and while I'm sure they're perfectly good (haven't actually done those segments yet), I'm quite taken by the abs segment as a short but effective core workout.

Because here's the thing about abs:  sure, a good, well-rounded general exercise DVD will help strengthen your core, but at some point, you do need to focus a bit specifically on abs and back.  But who can stand to?  Boring exercises that never get any easier?  Or that tend to cause neck strain?  Or that just seem to go on and on and on until you just want it to be over?  Bleh.  Who needs it.  Abs workouts can leave one with a "why bother" attitude.

But at least for me, the 10 minutes of ab work in this workout DVD move quickly; effectively hit all the various core muscle segments (including good emphasis on lower back); and are just the right level of challenging but not discouraging.

You'll need a stability ball and ten minutes.  That's it.  Then the abs are done!  Probably in less time than it took for me to type this!  Phew.  Glad that's over.

I'm not sure if this DVD is widely available (it's from 2002, and I don't see it linked on Keli Roberts' web site) but you might be able to pick it up at a book sale (as I did) or check it out at your library.

No comments: