Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Pout-Pout Fish Book Talk

I ran across this SchoolTube video a month and a half or so back.  I kept meaning to blog about it and link to it, but I don't think I ever did.  Luckily, my membership in the "Better Late Than Never" Club is fully up to date, so I thought I'd go ahead and blog about it now.

The video is a brief book talk about The Pout-Pout Fish, made by a teacher at Annie Burnside Elementary School in Columbia, SC.  It's always fun for me to hear someone talking about one of my books, and it's enjoyable to hear parts of the book read aloud.

But I would enjoy this video no matter which book was being featured.  What's most important, and what shines through, is the enthusiasm being conveyed for books, reading, and writing.  So wonderful to see!

And it's a good reminder for all of us:  Whatever books you enjoy, take time to talk them up to the kids in your life.  It's one of the many ways that we can entice, enhance, and encourage a culture of literacy and the lifelong love of learning.

3 comments:

Wyndi said...

I just read your comment on Izzy's blog and wanted to thank you :) My daughter loves your book! I just read the post that brought you to our blog and was embarrassed by all my typos! I really should prof-read my posts!ugh! really! I wanted to let you know how much fun we have reading the book together!! Izzy has the book memorized and lets her voice sink very low for the "I'm a pout-pout fish, with a pout pout face" part and it always cracks us up!! we have been reading to Izzy since she was in the hospital, at times it was the only thing we could do with her and for her when she was sick and she is our little bookworm!! She is going to be so excited that you left a comment on her bolg!!

Debbie Diesen said...

Wyndi, it truly is an honor and a joy to know that The Pout-Pout Fish has played a role in your amazing daughter's life. Thank you! I send and wish all best things to you and your family. Always.

(btw, typos never worry me -- I make more than plenty!!)

Erin said...

My boys absolutely love the pout-pout fish! We read it every night before bed!

We will definitely be getting more of your books to read!