Monday, March 28, 2011

Celebrating National Poetry Month

Those of you who've endured it know that my poetry tends to be a bit hit-or-miss.  But I keep at it, because I firmly believe that the act of writing poetry is in and of itself a good thing, regardless of how the poem turns out.

In that spirit, I plan to celebrate National Poetry Month by posting a new poem each day for the month of April.

To keep this goal manageable, I'm going to stick with a single form for the thirty poems:  the cinquain.  Though I'm no expert in poetic forms, my understanding of a cinquain is that it can be one of various forms of 5-line poems; but the specific form I'll be using is the five-line form with 2 then 4 then 6 then 8 then 2 syllables.

I'll also be participating in Lansing Online News' Poem/a/Day by tweeting the poems (sans line breaks) over on my twitter account, with the hashtag #LONpoem.

Don't look for any great poetry out of me during the month, but I do plan to enjoy the experience.

How about you?  How do you plan to celebrate National Poetry Month?

No comments: