Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday Workout Reviews: Kelly Coffey-Meyer's "30 Minutes to Fitness - Weights"

Kelly Coffey-Meyer has numerous workout DVDs, but "30 Minutes to Fitness: Weights" was the first one of hers I've tried.  Based on my experience with it, I plan to take a look at some of her other DVDs as well.  "30 Minutes to Fitness: Weights" is very well done.

Kelly has a no-nonsense style and she hosts structured but quick-moving workouts.  The DVD contains two workouts, each approximately 30-minutes.  (There are also other workout items and mixes on the DVD menu, but I haven't explored those yet.)

The first of the two 30-minute workouts focuses on back, legs, and chest.  The second focuses on biceps, triceps, and shoulders.  For both workouts, you'll need handheld weights.  As handheld weights go, she's working with some pretty heavy ones, and she encourages you to push yourself a little.  Her beginner recommendation is a 7-lb pair, working up to a 15-lb pair.  Me, I'm at an 8-lb pair, and I think I'll be there for a while.

Within each of the 30-minute workouts there are three segments.  Each segment has three exercises, two sets of each.  Some of the exercises are standards; others have a new twist.  It's a nice mix.  In between the segments are "rest" periods.  "Rest" in this case is a bit of a misnomer:  you do set your weights down, but you kick into gear doing ab exercises or mini-cardio for two minutes.

I found both of the workouts to be fun and effective, and I really liked the length.  Sometimes 1/2 hr. is all you've got, and it's great to have a 30-minute workout that works you for the full 30 minutes.

Lots of other reviews here and here.  Kelly's site is here.

2 comments:

Elizabeth O. Dulemba, a.k.a. "e" said...

I've been trying Pilates for the new year and I like that too. It's very low impact - more stretching and modest strength building - but I'm enjoying it. Here's to a fit New Year! :) e

Debbie Diesen said...

e, I love a lot of the Pilates workouts, and I think a good stretch is the best workout of all!