Thursday, January 6, 2011

This & That Thursday

It's a snowy day here in Michigan!  I'm hoping to make some progress today on a few manuscripts, but first thought I'd check in with a few items:
  • Be sure to check out this week's Michigander Monday profile, of Mark Newman.  Q&As with other Michigan children's book authors and illustrators will continue throughout the year, every other Monday or so.
  • If you haven't already, take a look at the great list of books that have been nominated for the ALA Notable Children's book list.  In terms of Michigan folks, nominee names that jumped out at me are Lynne Rae Perkins, Wong Herbert Yee, Patricia Polacco, Nic Bishop, and Erin & Philip Stead -- am I missing any other Michigan connections?  Stepping out of Michigancentric mode, all the nominated books are topnotch!  Final selections are made by the committee at ALA midwinter, and then announced usually in March.  Congratulations to all the nominated book authors and illustrators!
  • Stepping out of children's books mode and into general books mode, don't forget you've still got a chance to win a $50 bookstore gift certificate by pledging to read, some time this year, two of the books on the Michigan Notable Books list.  You don't have to live in Michigan to participateMore details here.
  • Do you read a lot of kidlit blogs, and though you mean well about commenting on the posts, you rarely do?  But you've resolved to do better in 2011?  Then MotherReader has a great challenge for you!  I signed up this morning.
Seems like there were a few other things I was going to include in this list.  I'll check back later and add them when I think of them.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi! I'm here from Mother Reader's Challenge. And guess what? I do a This and That Thursday too! Great minds think alike! :)

Debbie Diesen said...

Kelly, it must be the appeal of alliteration to great minds! :)

I don't manage every Thursday to do a This & That, but they're such handy posts for all those bits that don't seem to make a whole post of their own.

Thanks for stopping by!

Lee Wind said...

Fun roundup of all things Michigan and kid lit... and so glad you're joining in the Comment Challenge!
Namaste,
Lee

Meagan said...

Doing the challenge and looked more into your Michigan notable books challenge. I think it is a fabulous idea.

Storied Cities said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. And by the way, I adore the Pout Pout Fish!

Angela Craft said...

Here through the comment challenge as well! I was born and raised in Michigan, so I definitely appreciate all of the Michigan connections you're highlighting! I moved out to New York about two and a half years ago, and while I don't regret the move, I'm reminded almost daily just how different it is out here.

Literally Lynne said...

Hello from snowy New York! Enjoyed meeting you and reading your This and That!
Lynne Marie
www.HedgehogGoestoKindergarten.blogspot.com
www.MyWordPlayground.blogspot.com

madelyn said...

Debbie, Hi. Thought I'd return your visit blog visit. (My favorite thing about the comments challenge.) Thanks for introducing me to your fellow Michiganders. (I don't suppose anyone ever says Michigeese...)

Debbie Diesen said...

Kelly, Lee, Meagan, Storied Cities, Angela, Lynne, and Madelyn, thanks so much for stopping by!!!

BookBlogFun said...

Hi, I am making my way around on the MotherReader Challenge. I am trying to visit some author sites that coinside with the age group I am working with. Your books look wonderful!

~ Lauri Chandler
www.bookblogfun.doodlekit.com