Friday, January 7, 2011

Poetry Friday: Winter Snowfall

Welcome, blog visitors!  Here on Jumping The Candlestick, on Fridays I often post an original poem.  I'm not much of a poet, but I figure it's a good creative excursion to be brave anyway and to write and post a poem.  This week, I have a short one about snowfall.  In other poetry news, please note that yesterday (Jan. 6) was the 133rd anniversary of the birth of Carl Sandburg.  His poetry and his delightful Rutabaga Stories are an inspiration to me always.  Now, switching gears back to poetry of the lame type, here's one of mine:


Winter Snowfall

It’s just whimsy to say they’re dancing,
those whirling snowflakes that skip past my window.
Dots of random rhythm, my mind
hums them a tune. Surely they do not
call to one another:
“Let us dance!”

So I shall call.

Temporary citizens of the sky.
Denizens of the ballroom of my mind.
Strike up the band, you crazy little flakes!
It is winter. Winter! This is your season.
Dance, my frozen friends,
Dance! --


as if there is no ground.

12 comments:

Lori said...

I love this. It is not lame and was written by someone who is very "much" a poet indeed!

Sondy said...

I love this! Makes me wish for snow. (DC is getting missed by each storm this year.) How nice to post poetry just for fun -- takes all the pressure off, and people end up enjoying it. I'm not sure I would dare, so Brava for you!

Zoe @ Playing by the book said...

Gosh - what a way to start my morning! Beautiful and funny. Thankyou.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Yesterday, after driving three hours in sometimes white-out conditions, I hated snow. Thanks for changing my mind.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I especially love the last line! Lovely dance!

Rasco from RIF said...

This is a delightful poem and was so fitting as it snowed here in northern Virginia this morning. I could sit and watch the snow and read poems like this about the snow for hours on end...thank you for having this poem in the right place at the right time for me!

Deb said...

Oh my gosh, I loved this, lol. Right now the snowflakes and dancing up a storm outside my window. Literally. At points I can't see nothin' but the dancing.

Happy Sunday and thanks for sharing your Friday poem!

Trina said...

I love this and I love snow and dancing snowflakes.

Debbie Diesen said...

Lori, Sondy, Zoe, Ann, Andromeda, Carol, Deb, and Trina, thanks for for stopping by and for your kind words!

elizabethanne said...

That was truly delightful -- and I too, loved the last line... dance -- as if there was no ground. Yes!

Thank you for writing that, and thank you for sharing it. I will try to remember your words about the delightful dance when I'm grumbling about the snow, yet again.

Jan Markley said...

Great poem! Works given that it seems all of N. America is buried in snow!

Terry Doherty said...

Wow! For someone who says they're not a poet, this is pretty awesome! I love that feeling of being in a snowglobe you paint for my mind