Monday, January 10, 2011

Michigander Monday: News edition

I don't have a new Michigander Monday profile for you today.  But there is some great Michigan-related kidlit news, if you haven't already heard it: A Sick Day for Amos McGee, illustrated by Erin Stead and written by Philip Stead, took the prestigious Caldecott Medal at the 2011 American Library Association Youth Media Awards.  To learn more about the book, click here.  To see a little of Erin Stead's process of creating the art, click here.

Another Michigan name on the ALA Awards list is Nic Bishop, photographer for the book Kakapo Rescue, which was awarded the Sibert Medal.

If anyone recognizes any of the other award winners as being from the Mitten state, give a holler and I'll add them to this post.

Congratulations to all of the ALA Youth Media Award Winners!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

So cool to see what books make the awards!! Congrats to the Michigan winners!

MotherReader said...

Very excited about the Stead book. Such a lovely book. I'm also glad to see Nic Bishop get some love, as his photography is always amazing. Nice going, Michigan!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I used to live in Battle Creek (moved away in 2007). Wonder if our paths ever crossed at SCBWI...

Brimful Curiosities said...

So happy Amos won. Great book. Victory for the entire Midwest! Minnesota also had several winners, I hear.

Joy Weese Moll said...

I put in my request at the library for Amos McGee and there's a line -- winning the Caldecott certainly gets a book attention!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Wow, this is why I'm loving this comment challange. What great news for these books!! Thanks for alerting us to the awards and what went to who!