Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's That Time Of Year

Christmas is just around the corner.

Here at my house, we’ve got home-baked cookies enough to last us till spring; we’ve got Santa excitement; and we have the glorious joy that comes of love and luck and complacency. As we count down to the big day, I feel humbled by it all, and I number my blessings over and over. What a happy and lucky woman I am! I am grateful beyond words for my family and my friends, and for the unique but comfortable place I have found in this crazy world of ours.

But even in the midst of my heightened awareness of my own good fortune is my perpetual awareness of the challenges and hardships that life can present. I know that in the course of many years lived and many paths traveled, for many there is the sobering surprise of dark corridors and unwelcoming places. This can be true no matter the time of the year: for many, this is true especially due to the time of year.

This blog of mine has many visitors, some of whom I know and love, others of whom I’m somewhat acquainted with, and many of whom I’ll never even know stopped by. Given this, it’s a shot in the dark to know who might read a given blog post on a given day.  But just on the off chance that you – be you a friend, be you a stranger – just on the off chance that you, reading this now, might need to hear this, please know that no matter what is on your plate for the holidays, you – YOU -- matter. And if you are not in a good place right now, know that whatever pain you may have, whatever worries you may have, you, YOU, will get through it.

If you are alone this time of year, and it all starts to be too much, please don’t let yourself lose hope. Seek a welcoming place – amongst your family, your friends, your neighbors, your community. This is your world, and you belong here. You matter! Don’t ever let yourself think otherwise.

But if you are sinking, for whatever reason, know that there is help

If you are in crisis, or even close to it, and you don't know where to turn, please pick up the phone: 1-800-273-8255.

If you talk, you will be heard.  And it will help.

And no matter who you are, no matter where you are, no matter what is on your plate, no matter what the holidays mean to you, please know that I send you Peace and Love and my best wishes for Great Joy for us all.

I will catch you after Christmas, everyone. May Santa be good to you.  May Santa be good to us all.

No comments: