Sunday, November 28, 2010

What Are You Reading Lately?

I recently wandered into Twitter (@debbiediesen), and though I’m not sure I’ll stick around there (I’m neither hip enough, interesting enough, nor socially savvy enough to really find a comfortable place in the Twitterverse), for those who inhabit it effortlessly Twitter is a dynamic and interesting place full of lively conversations and exchanges. There are lots of ongoing features and memes, and one I particularly like is “Friday Reads.”

The idea behind Friday Reads, launched and grown on Twitter by Bethanne Patrick (@thebookmaven), is to take a moment every Friday to share with the world what you’re currently reading. Given that this occurs on Twitter (where posts are limited to 140 characters), there’s no pressure to get into reviewing, critiquing, praising, or panning. It’s simply a nice opportunity to engage in a little water cooler talk about what’s on your reading stack.

Personally, I think it’s a great idea. The more we talk about our reading interests, the more we are apt to notice how integral and crucial books are not only in our own lives but in the overall life of our culture. Taking the opportunity to casually but regularly engage in “what are you reading” conversations in the public sphere helps elevate and highlight the importance of books and reading to us all.

So, with all this in mind, I thought I’d take a moment to do another blog entry (as I do every month or so) on what I’ve been reading lately.  My recent and current reads (some finished, some just started, some halfway through...) are:
(Note: Even though I’m a children’s book author, just FYI none of these books are kids’ books. I do read those, too, but lately my reading has trended more grown-up. Tends to ebb and flow.  Who knows, next month might be all Dr. Seuss...)

Anyway, now that I've told you mine, perhaps you’d like to take a moment to chime in in the comments about what you’re reading.  Or maybe this Friday you’ll want to participate in Twitter’s "Friday Reads" (use hashtag #fridayreads), either on Twitter or over on the Friday Reads page on FaceBook. Or, better yet -- if you don't already -- perhaps you will take the opportunity a couple of times each week to have a “what are you reading?” conversation with a friend or co-worker.

When you promote and encouraging reading by making it a discernible part of your online and offline life, it's good for us all!

2 comments:

Ann Finkelstein said...

My list is shorter. I was reading AT HOME by Bill Bryson. I was unable to finish it before its library due date. I couldn’t renew it because another person had reserved it, so I wrote down my page number, returned it to the library and put it on hold again.

I started THE CARDTURNER by Louis Sachar, but I put it aside. I’m not that interested in bridge.

I just began reading THE GOODBYE SEASON by Marian Hale and I’m enjoying it so far. It’s about the great flu epidemic of 1918, and I’m reminded that I have yet to get my vaccine this year.

Kim said...

I'm reading ETHAN FROME by Edith Wharton and ROOM by Emma Donoghue. Clearly, I need to find something more uplifting for the holidays.