Friday, October 22, 2010

Poetry Friday: Clearing Way

Clearing Way


The young one



says goodbye to the living room shelf units



as if losing an old friend.



“Why?” he asks,

with all his heart,

“do we have to get rid of them?”



“Because we’ve had them twenty years,”

I want to say.

“Because I’m tired of the same old big, bulky shelves.”

I feel a sigh billowing up inside me.

“It’s just time for a change.”



But I say nothing.

I watch him dust each shelf carefully.

The new owners

are on their way,

if they’ve found the right crossroads.

It won’t be long now.

These shelves,

that have sat immobile all his life,

are moving on.





“I’ll miss you,” he says

when he doesn’t think I’m listening.




And suddenly,



I’m right there beside him,





my whole soul knowing



how hard it is





to say goodbye.

3 comments:

Lori said...

There you go making me all blubbery. . . .about SHELVES.

how do you do that?

Ishta Mercurio said...

I'm right there with you. I hate getting rid of old things.

Kim said...

Simply lovely.