Thursday, August 19, 2010

Picture Books for the Presidential Reading List: A Contest

This morning I read an article about our President's current summer reading list.  And while I'm always pleased when people in serious positions have serious reading interests, I couldn't help but wish his list had a little bit of whimsy.

That led to the following thought.  Perhaps we could come up with a picture book or two for the Commander-In-Chief to add to his summer reading stack.  Because, really, with 2,333 pages already on his nightstand, what's 32 more?

And, heck, why not make it a contest?  With a prize and everything?

So, with that in mind, I'm officially announcing a contest.  Here are the contest rules, made up by a committee of one even as I type them.

1.  Think of a picture book that you believe the President would enjoy reading.  This could be new picture book or an oldie-but-goodie.  (Note: for reasons of this being my blog, please don't suggest any of my books; but do consider books by any and all of your favorite authors, past and present.)

2.  Then think of to whom the President should read the book.  Your choice of designated readee can add a sweet note to your suggestion, or a funny twist, but please do show respect for all parties mentioned.

3.  Post your title and readee nominee in the comments section of this post.

4.  Contest will run until I have enough entries to make it feel like a real contest.  (After I get at least ten entries, I'll establish an honest-to-goodness deadline.)

5.  After the contest closes, I'll choose my favorite entry.  The winner will receive a signed copy of my and Dan Hanna's new book, The Pout-Pout Fish In The Big-Big Dark.

Have fun, and Good Luck!