Thursday, August 19, 2010

Picture Books for the Presidential Reading List: A Contest

This morning I read an article about our President's current summer reading list.  And while I'm always pleased when people in serious positions have serious reading interests, I couldn't help but wish his list had a little bit of whimsy.

That led to the following thought.  Perhaps we could come up with a picture book or two for the Commander-In-Chief to add to his summer reading stack.  Because, really, with 2,333 pages already on his nightstand, what's 32 more?

And, heck, why not make it a contest?  With a prize and everything?

So, with that in mind, I'm officially announcing a contest.  Here are the contest rules, made up by a committee of one even as I type them.

1.  Think of a picture book that you believe the President would enjoy reading.  This could be new picture book or an oldie-but-goodie.  (Note: for reasons of this being my blog, please don't suggest any of my books; but do consider books by any and all of your favorite authors, past and present.)

2.  Then think of to whom the President should read the book.  Your choice of designated readee can add a sweet note to your suggestion, or a funny twist, but please do show respect for all parties mentioned.

3.  Post your title and readee nominee in the comments section of this post.

4.  Contest will run until I have enough entries to make it feel like a real contest.  (After I get at least ten entries, I'll establish an honest-to-goodness deadline.)

5.  After the contest closes, I'll choose my favorite entry.  The winner will receive a signed copy of my and Dan Hanna's new book, The Pout-Pout Fish In The Big-Big Dark.

Have fun, and Good Luck!

16 comments:

Ruth McNally Barshaw said...

I think President Obama should take "Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?" by Audrey Glassman Vernick to our first national park, Yellowstone, and read it to the kids. This way they'll know whether they need to arrange day care for their bison this fall.

Amy Huntley said...

I think Obama should read THE MATH CURSE to a group of fifth graders on the White House Lawn. Then I think he should come up with a totally silly, but completely fun "White House" math problem for the students to solve. I also think he should share his best and worst memory about learning math!

April Young said...

President Obama should read a book like Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland, as well as books on White House history. These readings should be in conjunction with a hosted Archaeological Dig on the white house lawn. Imagine! Every summer, different schools could be invited to participate. The treasure trove of historical artifacts, and their historical significance, plus the fun of unearthing them, would be the ultimate learning experience and could be a nationwide experience.

Jane Shapiro said...

How about Goin' Someplace Special by Patricia McKissick to be read by President Obama to the nation.

"In segregated 1950's Nashville, a young African American girl braves a series of indignities and obstacles to get to one of the few integrated places in town: the public library."

Lori Van Hoesen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Van Hoesen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Van Hoesen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Van Hoesen said...

Obama should read "Caps for Sale" by Esphyr Slobodkina to BP executives. Given the "monkey business" they've been up to, it seems an obvious choice.

Debbie said...

I've had a few suggestions come in through my FB account. I'll add those in as I receive them. Here's one:

"I think President Obama should read 'Old Turtle' By Douglas Wood, watercolors by Cheng-Khee Chee, to Congress."

Debbie said...

And here's another that came in through FB:

"'Duck! Rabbit!' by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Chronicle Books) would be a great choice for the President to share with Congress. Not many words, but the illustrations speak for themselves! A terrific book to introduce compromise (or a new argument)!"

Ishta Mercurio said...

I think he should read YERTLE THE TURTLE, by Dr. Seuss, to Congress and to the CEOs of the Fortune 500 companies.

Pragmatic Mom said...

Duck for President by Doreen Conin.

Susanne Drazic said...

I think our President should read THE LORAX by Dr. Seuss to everyone who is in any type of government position.

Rachel Rainbolt, M.A., CEIM, ICI said...

He should definitely read The Lorax by Dr. Seuss to the EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson- just to keep us all focused on the heart of the matter while connecting with that inner child. :)

Kim said...

I think he should read Meg Fox's TIME FOR BED to a joint session of Congress so they can all just chill out, catch their breath and take a nap, because everyone is nicer and happier after a nap.

Liza Martz - Cogitations and Codswallop said...

I think he should read, "Tara & Bella the Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends"by Carol Buckley . It can be read to anyone who needs to learn its okay to get along with someone even if they are different from you.