Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Revision

I haven't blogged much lately.  The usual excuses apply (too much on my schedule, too much travel, busy catching up, etc. etc.).  I've had a fair number of events lately (a library and a preschool last week Tuesday; a school last week Thursday; a bookstore Saturday; a preschool Tuesday; and tomorrow, another school), combined with my usual regular work schedule and my various family happenings.  The stacks on my desk in my home office, not to mention the clutter in my car, attest to not quite keeping up.  And hence the blog neglect.  And, more significantly, general writing and creativity neglect.  It's hard to keep one's self-identification as a writer when one isn't writing much!

But I'm hoping tomorrow afternoon to snag a few hours to work on a revision of a story.  It's a short picture book story (190 words), one that has potential but still needs work.  I'm grateful for several critiques I've received on the story that help shine light on the work to be done -- but it still takes time, and commitment, to do the revision.

Some writers love revision.  I for one will admit that I don't.  But it's a necessary part of the process.

And so I'm (sort of) looking forward to getting down to work!

2 comments:

Boni Ashburn said...

You know, I've always hated revision too. But have come around a bit on the last two... and might even be starting to like it... hang in there Deb!

And p.s. That ms is worth revising :)

Ann Finkelstein said...

I like revision - at least for the first few rounds. After several drafts the shine wears off.