Monday, March 29, 2010

Something to Do After You Turn In Your Taxes and Sleep For Two Days

It’s difficult to describe James Kennedy’s novel The Order of Odd-Fish. Reading it is a three-dimensional experience. Maybe the best I can do is to say that were I to picture James Kennedy writing it, I see not the mundane tableau of an earnest author hunched over his keyboard. Rather, I see a man with a leaky fountain pen clasped between his toes writing rapidly on the back of an ancient, uncooperative hippopotamus while juggling a flaming Baked Alaska, a razor-sharp cleaver, and a small cardboard box. This is an admittedly weirdly whimsical image, from one not typically given to weird whimsy. But such is the effect of reading The Order of Odd-Fish. I whole-heartedly encourage you to run now to your library and try it out for yourself!  (The reading of the book, that is; not the juggling of cleavers.)

All this is by way of mentioning that if you’re in the Chicago area in mid-April -- April 17, to be exact --James Kennedy has a Odd-Fish Fan Art Showing and Dome of Doom Party scheduled. More details here.

3 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Ha! I knew you had some weird whimsy in you!

I do appreciate the James Kennedy's of the world.:) Have to check it out.

Susanne Drazic said...

Sounds like quite the book to read if you want to read a bit of weird whimsy. I'll have to check this one out. The title definitely caught my interest.

James Kennedy said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Debbie! What she modestly doesn't mention is that her son has some "Odd-Fish" art featured in the upcoming gallery show. Will post it soon as a sneak peek!