Thursday, September 3, 2009

Adopt A Word

Just saw this over on the wonderful blog Bookstore People: there's a site called "Save The Words" that features words in danger of being dropped from current dictionaries due to disuse. If you find one you'd like to help sustain, you adopt it by pledging to use the word in conversation and correspondence, as frequently as possible, to the very best of your ability.

Though I'm not yet ready to adopt (it's a big commitment!), I've been considering nubivagant, sparsile, and pigritude. But there are so many others to choose from! Pity we can't save them all.

Or can we?

Word lovers, go love a word!

3 comments:

Jody Sparks said...

I love this post! I know it's a big commitment, but you'd be such a good parent to a word. And they all need love. I think you should go for it!

Boni Ashburn said...

What a cool site Debbie! I'm always worried "whippersnapper" is going to be banished due to 21st Century under-use, but I don't think I see it on there. Whew. I haven't adopted it or anything, but I do make sure to use it every day to keep it alive...

Kim said...

Hmm, never took you for the fear of commitment type :)