Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"This Old House" For Regular People...

Readers of this blog will recall my previous mention of the independent film Craftsman Style: The Movie. Last week, I had the pleasure of attending a screening of the film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a gem. The film chronicles a home restoration, but it's far more than just a renovation story. The movie weaves together history, craftsmanship, and community in a lighthearted but far-reaching way. By turns humorous, educational, and inspiring, it is at all times authentic. Craftsman Style is a movie well worth watching more than once.

I know Dave Muylle, whose home restoration is the subject of the film. This probably makes me a biased viewer by definition. But I can honestly say that even if I didn't know Dave, I'd still thoroughly enjoy the film. He and filmmaker Shane Hagadorn have created a wonderful movie. I'm very glad I got to see it.

I'll post periodic updates as the film is accepted at various film festivals, in case there's a viewing near you. In the meantime, those of you in the Lansing area have an opportunity to see the film in September. Full disclosure: the September 18 screening is part of a fundraiser for my nonprofit place of employment. But that's not the reason I encourage you to come on out and see the film.

Come see it because you'll be glad you did.

Here's the description of the film, in case you'd like to know more:

Craftsman Style tells the story of Dave Muylle, a veteran contractor turned citizen-filmmaker, and his two-year journey to restore a former drug house into a new home for his family.

Best described as “This Old House” for regular people, this documentary provides a detailed account of the rebuilding work done by Dave and his fellow craftsmen. The film also explores how this type of renovation provides a new model for home construction in urban America, one in which wonderful old houses are not simply torn down and replaced but are restored to their former glory, a practice that saves valuable natural resources while also honoring the past.

While not intended as an indictment of urban sprawl, the film does offer this important insight: “Craftsmanship, restoration, and community—this is true sustainability.”

No comments: