Friday, August 14, 2009

Poetry Friday

walking by

take a walk in the park on a sunny summer day and you’ll

likely discover several things one of which inevitably is

that it’s warmer than you thought once you get rolling

another one of which is that a sudden breeze is a gift

the last one of which is that no matter how many times

you walk the path no matter how familiar the territory

no matter how much you look around as you go you’ll never

manage to see it all not the hidden life deep in the ground

not the saga high in the treetops not the truth of the tired

woman on the park bench nor the child on the swing nor

the man who walks around the track again and again but

what really is the final thing is that none of it dims the sun

until the clouds come

2 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Wow. I'll be thinking about this one the rest of the day.

I wasn't expecting "dim the sun." It sheds a different light on the preceding images.

Thank you.

Debbie Diesen said...

Early last week, when my mind was elsewhere, I took my feet to the park. Maybe it was just my outlook that particular day, but I was very much struck by how frequently I walk by things without truly seeing them or wondering about them. There's an upside to that unintentional obliviousness -- there are always new things to be learned and discovered. But it has a downside, too. The poem was a reminder to myself to just try to pay attention as best I can.