Sunday, July 19, 2009

All the World

I love Marla Frazee's art. Every book that she illustrates pulls me in completely. Her characters are charming people I'm sure I've met; and her settings are absorbing places I'm sure I've stayed. Her style is the perfect mix of realistic and whimsical, and I absolutely adore it.

And so it is that I consider myself extraordinarily lucky to have an ARC of the forthcoming book All the World.

Written by Liz Garton Scanlon and illustrated by none other than Marla Frazee, All the World is a beautiful book. The text begins, "Rock, stone, pebble, sand/Body, shoulder, arm, hand/A moat to dig, a shell to keep/All the world is wide and deep." The illustrations to the poetic text follow a family of four as their day takes them from shore to treetop to cafe to fireside and more, all with a widening cast of family and friends. The book ends: "Hope and peace and love and trust/All the world is all of us."

All the World is published by Allyn Johnston's new imprint Beach Lane Books, and will be in stores in September.

2 comments:

Boni Ashburn said...

Ooh, I've been waiting for this one Debbie- you ARE lucky! Isn't Marla Frazee fabulous?? I adore the cover- glad to hear it's a lovely book as well :)

Lori Van Hoesen said...

And I'll be buying that one, as I think she may be my favorite illustrator too! Ever since she did the covers for Deborah Wiles novels. I'm so glad she got some much deserved recognition this year :)

An ARC--you lucky duck!