Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Poetry Speaks to Beltwayians

I think it's pretty neat that the White House had a poetry and music gathering last evening. I hope it will be the first of many.

The Washington Post has an article about the event here.

Incidentally, according to Scott Horsley's NPR story, guest reader James Earl Jones considered a selection from Green Eggs and Ham, but read instead from Othello. I say invite him back for the next one, and let him do the Seuss! Wouldn't that be grand to hear? What a voice.

Any of my blog readers six or fewer degrees of separation from any of the poetry gathering performers or attendees? Do tell.

2 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Hey, I got to meet James Earl Jones at (here's a blast from the past) JOCUNDRY'S BOOKS in East Lansing back in the early nineties. The book signing was packed, and I asked him something dumb like, "What's your proudest accomplishment?" He was gracious.

Debbie Diesen said...

Oh, Jocundry's! That does definitely qualify as a blast from the past. I have such fond memories of Jocundry's, especially in their original location. My spouse even has a Jocundry's T-shirt. It's faded almost beyond recognition, but when he attempted to throw it out recently, I retrieved it from the trash, washed it, and stored it in the Memory Lane box....