Friday, March 6, 2009

Poetry Friday

3 a.m., Now

I had a list, back then.
Back then, I had a list.
A long list, studded with capital letter words
such as
Patience.
Surely I would need Patience –
so I grabbed a wad and stuck it in my sack
(only to find out much later, not that much later,
that I should have grabbed more).
And of course I would need Courage.
Lots of that.
Doubt I had, but I tossed in extra,
for good measure.
Wisdom? Yes, of course, though they were
out and told me to come back later
which I have meant to do ever since, and certainly will
next week
or so,
or whenever I can get to it,
but I will,
I will go back,
one of these days.
And a few shiny objects, small totems, those too
I added to my sack,
though they weren’t anywhere on my list.
They sparkled in the light and they
comforted me, so I took them along. Enthusiasm
I had already but I added more for there was
an overabundance and it was mine
for the taking and there was still plenty left
for the soon-to-be-mothers
queued up behind me, readying themselves,
their eyes glistening with the same joy and fear
I knew shone in my own. Oh, I was so earnestly
well-prepared:

I took everything on my list and double that more --

But I did not know
that I should have looked,
and looked harder if I had to,
and looked forever if I had to,
and not left until I found

the magic wand
that makes ear infections go away.


I’d take everything else back now

if I could just have that.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Perfect! I'm sending this to a friend who is dealing with a child with a double ear infection!

Jacqueline said...

Brilliant, laughed out loud. Thanks.

Kelly said...

Moms of the world read your poem and nod their heads!

Jacqui said...

Oh yes. I have been there many times. Bless the good doctor Tylenol, I say. And my word verification today is "vomat," which is also hard...

I'm Jet . . . said...

What a surprise ending!

Yat-Yee said...

I like it that you tossed in extra even though you already had Doubt and Enthusiasm. Great way to live!

And, yes, I am surprised by the end, especially since I had my curiosity peaked by how you set it up. Surprising but totally appropriate.

(Jacqui: vomat, really?) Do you suppose Blogger word verification has some sort of a sensor? Or maybe just a sense of humor?

Nandini said...

Ha! Didn't see that one coming. Loved it! BTW The magic wand for our (then) 6 year old was having his tonsils out.

Debbie Diesen said...

Kim, Jacqueline, Kelly, Jacqui, Jet, Yat-Yee, Nandini -- thank you for your comments! This has been quite a week, and this poem came from a "write what you know" mind set. Things seem better now, if I can say that without "jinxing" things; but for me the fact that parenting ends up being so much different than what one expected reverberates strongly.

Thank you for your kind words. They've meant a great deal to me during a difficult week.