Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mr. Fish Surfaces And Swims Right Into A Meme!

A big "Hello!" to the above-water-world from yours truly, Mr. Fish!

I’m grateful to Debbie for giving me this birthday present of a guest-blogger spot on Jumping The Candlestick. Very timely, too, because just last week Ms. Clam tagged me for the “25 Random Things About Me” meme.

So here goes, with 25 Random Things About Mr. Fish:

1. I can hold my breath above water for 1 minute and 2 seconds.

2. In high school, I was known as the Class Frown.

3. My favorite human is Jacques Cousteau.

4. For karaoke night, I always sing “I am the very model of the modern major general…” but I substitute the word “blub” for all the lyrics. Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub!

5. When I was much younger, I wanted to grow up to be a Flying Fish, so I could fly to the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon.

6. I’ve never harbored a desire to drive the bus. I would, however, like to drive the sub.

7. Sometimes I close my eyes and imagine I’m a giant whale, but instead of a spout I blow water out my nose.

8. My birthday is March 18, which makes me a Pisces. I prefer not to tell you how old I am, but I was born in the Year of the Rat. I really wish there was a Year of the Fish.

9. Book I faked reading: The Old Man and The Sea.

10. I used to believe biology was destiny, but a certain shimmery friend of mine has caused me to reconsider that position.

11. I don’t mean to brag, but I can mambo like nobody’s business.

12. Sometimes I swim upside-down and speak backwards, like this: “Sehsif Tseb.”

13. I love card games, except “Go Fish,” which gives me the heebie-jeebies.

14. I do a spot-on imitation of Garrison Keillor. “That’s the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the swimmers are strong, all the fish are good-looking, and all the minnows are above average.”

15. My least favorite day of the week is “Fry-Day.”

16. I once ordered some Sea Monkeys from the back of a comic book, and they ended up being nothing but Brine Shrimp.

17. My favorite made-up words are “fin-tastic” and “fish-arrific.”

18. Someday I’d like to travel to Australia to find Nemo.

19. I’m a little bit scared of the dark.

20. I collect bottle caps. I’ve got 14,812 of them, but 14,804 are buried under the sand.

21. Once, on a dare, I fin-wrestled a shark.

22. I play slide trombone. I’ve got a great embouchure, but a limited note range.

23. I prefer boxers to briefs, though I don’t know what either one of them are.

24. At night, when it’s very quiet in the ocean, I like to lie on my back and count the star fish.

25. I don’t pout nearly as much as I used to.


Now I tag: Mr. Jelly, Mrs. Squid, Mr. Eight, and Miss Shimmer.

And thanks, everybody, for a great first year!!

(Thanks also go to Dan Hanna and to Debbie for helping me with this post. Dan in particular is a very funny guy -- any of the lines that made you laugh out loud are probably his. Thanks, Dan!)

7 comments:

Alice said...

Happy Birthday to my fellow Pisces, Mr. Fish! Thanks for swimming across the pages of CWIM.

--Alice

Jill Corcoran said...

Debbie and Dan, you crack me up. I love this list:)
You go, Fish!
Fish on!

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Happy birthday Mr. Fish!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Fish! Loved the list. I don't think I'd be too keen on "GO FISH" either if I were you.

Too funny. :)

Kim said...

Mr. Fish meets Facebook, love it!

Boni Ashburn said...

ACK!!! I missed the party! This is HILARIOUS Debbie. I love #6 and am VERY intrigued by #19. I think there's a story in that one :P

Happy Birthday Mr. Fish!!!

Mr. Fish said...

Alice, Jill, Lori, Kelli, Kim, and Boni, thank you all for your kind words! I truly am a lucky fish, and I am grateful above all for the wonderful people I've met along the way this past year.

Best Fishes!
--Mr. Fish