Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wednesday Workout Review: Kari Anderson's "Reach"

Anyone who has read my blog for more than 5 seconds has likely discovered that I am very easily distracted. Guilty as charged. So before I get to my workout review, please indulge me as I share with you a brief story about my recent discovery of my alter ego.

So yesterday I was reading Boni's blog post, and of course had to weigh in with my opinions about nomenclature for her Gut Instinct; and this led me later in the day to have jumping around in the back of my mind the pressing question, "I wonder if 'Gutte' is actually a name?" This in turn took me to a baby names site (no, I'm not in need of one - name nor baby) and the discovery of an interesting sidebar at the site, called a "Baby Names Advisor," wherein you put the mother's name and the father's name and determine a suitable baby name. Well, who can resist that? Of course, I put in my Mom's name and my Dad's name, and lo and behold, the name that's best for me is.... Mariela.

Mariela. Who knew? Don't I sound somehow taller, smarter, and better looking?

(If you'd like to determine your own alter ego, go here and look over to the right.)

What does this all have to do with workout DVD reviews?

Absolutely nothing!

But the workout DVD that I'm recommending this week is one that even a Mariela would love. Of all the workout DVDs I have (and I actually have more than I care to admit to), "Reach: Upbeat Toning & Flexibility for a Dancer's Body" by Kari Anderson is one of my all-time favorites. It consists of 30 minutes standing work, 20 minutes floor work, and 10 minutes stretching. Though I don't tend to relish long workouts, really this is one that's best done all together. If you do the full workout, you'll feel wonderful -- very stretched out and full of energy. The instruction is low-key but easy to follow, the music is interesting but not annoying, and the workout is challenging but not impossible. I highly recommend it.

A couple of reviews of it can be found here and here.

Mariela gives it five stars.

6 comments:

Ann Finkelstein said...

The name site gave me Emily. I have an older cousin by that name.

Liza Martz - Cogitations and Codswallop said...

You can call me Lorelei. It means alluring... but of course.

Lori Van Hoesen said...

I am Joana for a girl, or. . .boy Colby. I'm more likely to go for the cheese.

Debbie Diesen said...

I didn't even think to look up my new name's meaning. Turns out I am... "bitter."

I think I'll stick with my original. I'm entirely satisfied being a "bee."

Mandy Higgins said...

I love Kari Anderson's Reach workout as well. It makes you feel like an elegant dancer and gets a major sweat on at the same time. I wrote about this DVD on my blog about home fitness DVDs that I use that I like, Fantastic Fitness DVDs.

Debbie said...

Mandy, I'm glad to meet a fellow Reach fan!

Thanks for the link to your blog - I'll be adding it to my sidebar and definitely checking out your DVD reviews.