Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Bit of Silliness

For no particular reason, the classic "Green Apples and Bananas" song popped into my brain at breakfast this morning. In case you're not familiar with it, it starts out something like this:

I like to eat,
I like to eat,
I like to eat green apples and bananas.

I like to eat,
I like to eat,
I like to eat green apples and bananas.


And then comes the fun! In subsequent singings of the song stanzas, one changes all the vowel sounds to Long A; then Long E; then Long I; O; and U. The E verse is particularly fun:

Ee leek tee eat,
Ee leek tee eat,
Ee leek tee eat green eeples eend beeneenies.

This is one of those songs that seems like it's always been around, but I wonder if the original creator is identifiable? I plan to nose around into it later (curiosity always gets the better of me), but if anyone knows the origins of the song, be sure to chime in with that info.

Update: Most sources indicate "traditional" or "unknown" as the lyrics author. The United States Copyright Office has a renewal registration for "Apples and Bananas," indicating "w Johnny Mercer, 1909-1976 & others, m Frank Scott," which, if it's the song in question, I would interpret as "words by Johnny Mercer and others, music by Frank Scott." So it could be Johnny Mercer was one of the first people to officially write down the lyrics, though "& others" would seem to indicate the lyrics were in general use and not attributable to one person. Like tracking down Mother Goose origins, I have a feeling the original author would be nearly impossible to identify.

1 comment:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Oh fun! I always sang this version:

I like to eat, eat, eat,
apples and bananas

I like to eat, eat, eat,
apples and bananas

and then the vowel variations.

I think maybe I like yours better though, more vowels to play around with. Alas, I have no idea where it came from, and I'm a little abashed to admit I learned it from a certain purple dinosaur :o/