Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Fishy Round-Up

I always feel a little self-absorbed posting book reviews of The Pout-Pout Fish here, but I figure it's a nice way to draw your attention to some blogs and sites you may not have visited yet. So here goes with a round-up:

Amanda Snow has a great blog called A Patchwork of Books. I love her tagline -- "Children's librarian by day, book reviewer by night!" Despite a great deal of hardship this past year, she has consistently posted regular, thorough, and thoughtful reviews of children's books. You can head over and read her review of The Pout-Pout Fish, or better yet, just head over and read her whole blog, then add it to your blog roll.

Brenda Ferber, author of Jemma Hartman: Camper Extraordinaire and Julia's Kitchen, does a column for The Prairie Wind, the newsletter of the SCBWI-Illinois chapter. She did a nice "book look" feature about The Pout-Pout Fish. Currently, you'll find the piece at the top of this page (as more book-looks are added, you may need to scroll down to find the Pout-Pout entry). You should take a look at all the book-looks, as they're well-written and informative. Brenda's site is here and her blog is here, so be sure to visit.

If you don't mind opening up a PDF file, and scrolling down to page 3, there's a brief review of The Pout-Pout Fish in the Fall 2008 Horn Book Guide. Reviewer Nell Beram is my new best friend for terming the story's rhymes "faultless."

But, in case you think I only link to the good reviews (well, for the most part, I'm guilty as charged; but hey, it's my blog), here's a review by someone who liked, but didn't love, The Pout-Pout Fish. (For the record, I am 100% AOK with that. Books are very personal. What appeals to one person doesn't necessarily resonate with someone else. What matters is not that any one particular book is read. It's just the reading that matters.) Anyway, the blog, Nomadreader, is new to me, but appears to be chock-full of reviews, so head on over and nose around. Lots of good stuff. The review itself is also posted on Amazon, where there are currently 18 available Pout-Pout reviews. While I might quibble just a little bit with this one (which is not to say the review is wrong, just that I have a different philosophy about young kids and vocabulary, especially in read-alouds), I am always thrilled to have honest reviews of The Pout-Pout Fish, and I sincerely thank and appreciate all eighteen of the reviewers! [By the way, if these links to the Amazon reviews don't work, please let me know.]

And one more thing as I catch up on Pout-Pout links: Jay Jackson at the School of Information at the University of Michigan was kind enough to do a nice news piece on yours truly. Click here to read it.

I think that brings us up to date on fishy links!

1 comment:

Mr. Fish said...

Shucks - what a nice round-up. It's enough to make a humble fish blush!