Friday, October 3, 2008

Poetry Friday

Before I get to this week's poem, I'd like to take a moment to say Thank You to those of you who are here to read it. Even though the quality of my poetry is often uneven (some passable, some not-so-great), the act of writing poems is something I always benefit from. Creating poetry feeds a part of my writing self that isn't otherwise nourished; and writing a weekly poem for my blog also ends up encouraging me in other areas of my writing life. Maybe it's simply the effect of having a regular weekly deadline (writers need deadlines!); or maybe it's the comfortable risk-taking of posting a piece of writing for just anybody to read; but something about it feels nice. And so I thank you -- family, friends, and total strangers -- for stopping by, for taking the chance on some word meanderings, for encouraging me to keep at it, and for sharing your comments. It sounds hokey to say, but it means more to me than you know.

So, here goes with this week's poem...


Eight-and-a-Half by Eleven


Words

are tiny, faceted gems,

delightful bon-bons,
earnest spring flowers,
raucous party-goers ,

but they lose their luster

when corralled

heartlessly

into an Agenda


where the only word

that sparkles


is "Adjourn."

1 comment:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Your poetry has done something else for me that I didn't anticipate. Take me back to an old habit I used to have (and gave up when I joined the critique group and found out I had so much to learn!) Thank you.