Thursday, October 23, 2008

Not Nice

Since this is supposedly a blog about being a children's book writer (though I admittedly often end up discussing off-topic things such as candy preferences and disco...), I've tried to keep my political leanings off this blog. It's not that I don't have strong opinions; I just figure this isn't the place for them.

However. I feel compelled to report to my loyal readers that today my yard signs for the Presidential candidate I hope-like-heck will be elected were stolen right out of my yard! In broad daylight! Looks like quite a few neighbors lost theirs as well.

On the voter intimidation scale, that ranks right up there with a three-year-old sticking his/her tongue out at you. But still, it isn't very good citizenship. I hope whoever (whomever?) did it is ashamed.

I hastily scrawled a temporary replacement sign on a corner of foam board leftover from a project. I share it with you here, with the full understanding that if your yard sign supports a different candidate than mine, I thoroughly respect your choice, and I will not steal your sign.

OK. Rant over now. Carry on.

3 comments:

Ann Finkelstein said...

We've had lots of yard signs stolen over the years. One year they took them while we were off watching the high school homecoming parade. Now that is low! One of my sons suggested putting silver nitrate on the sign posts so the thief would get blackened hands. We didn't go that far, but we did put the replacement sign inside the front window.

Debbie Diesen said...

I have to admit, if I had a little bit more time on my hands, I would definitely run some sort of sting operation....

The thievery is so silly and juvenile -- and apparently quite widespread. Sure will be glad when the election is all said and done.

April Jo Young said...

Your homemade sign was better, anyway...it sends an even stronger message that the jerks won't get you down. AND it was polite! How do you DO that????
It's a moot point, now, anyway. I hope whoever took them is stewing in it. The best revenge!