Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mum's The Word

Last week I had a mild cold that departed within a few days -- but when it left, it took most of my voice with it! I then operated on reduced voice, including last Friday (when I had to give a presentation), last Saturday (when I attended my husband's high school reunion and made a lot of small talk in a noisy room), and last Sunday (when I had the joy of spending the evening with my critique group -- photo below -- and who could resist talking to these folks?).

Having obviously not heeded the "rest your voice" advice over the weekend, by this week it was still gravelly and strained.

Hot tea has helped. Honey has helped. Hot lemonade has helped. Chocolate has helped. (Hey, it's good for your heart -- why not your voice, too?) But still, I have partial voice at best.

And with a speaking engagement on tap for this Saturday, it's now time to do what must be done: a day of total silence. That's right. Nothing above a whisper.

I'll report back later and let you know if I made it. In the meantime, here's my critique group (less our member in Iowa, whom we missed terribly), photographed last Sunday celebrating Amy's forthcoming novel and Ruth's recent second book:

3 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Something my mother drilled into me is "Especially DON'T whisper!" This was confirmed recently by a singer I know. Apparently it is even more a strain than talking. This is going to sound silly, but what the pros do is talk in a really high voice like you've sucked helium. Boy that will entertain your family! There's always the trusty notepad. :o) Good luck!!

Debbie Diesen said...

Guess the no-whisper advice takes my day of quiet to a whole new level! (My family will be thrilled. Unless I go the helium-voice route...)

Boni Ashburn said...

Aw, a nice article about dark chocolate AND that lovely photo of some smiling faces that I actually KNOW.... I'm getting all nostagically weepy UP here.... Hi MI-SCBWI Fall Conference People!

And Debbie, another tip (from the fabulous Lisa W.)- don't use any throat/cough drops with menthol in them- very bad for the vocal chords :)

I feel your pain- I lose my voice every time I get sick. My family, ahem, always seems to look forward to it happening... ha!