Monday, September 22, 2008

Michigander Monday: Michael Spradlin

I'm pleased to welcome Michael Spradlin, here to talk to us about his hot-off-the-presses The Youngest Templar: Keeper of the Grail, his other books, and more. Welcome, Michael!

Debbie: Please tell us a little about yourself.

Michael: I was born in raised in Homer, Michigan in Calhoun County. I graduated from Homer High School in 1978 and from Central Michigan University in 1982. I’ve lived in Michigan all of my life and now live in Lapeer.

Debbie
: And, of course, we want to know all about your latest book!

Michael: My new novel is called The Youngest Templar: Keeper of the Grail. It’s an action-adventure novel, set during the third crusade. It tells the story of Tristan, an orphan raised by monks, who becomes the squire to Sir Thomas Leux a Templar Knight. When he travels with Sir Thomas to the Holy Land he becomes the guardian of the Holy Grail. But there are mysterious and nefarious forces at work around Tristan and he must make his way back to England dodging assassins, evil Knights, spies of Richard the Lionheart and above all must keep the Grail safe. It’s the first book in a trilogy.

Debbie: Other books and projects on the horizon?

Michael: I always have something in the works. I’m putting the finishing touches on the second book in the Youngest Templar trilogy. I just last month released a new picture book called Daniel Boone’s Great Escape. I have books scheduled through 2011.

Debbie: Upcoming appearances?

Michael: I’ll be attending the South Dakota Festival of Books September 24-28, The Great Lakes Booksellers Association on October 5th, The Buckeye Book Fair on November 1st and the Kentucky Book Fair on November 15. All of my events can be found on the events page at my website http://www.michaelspradlin.com/

Debbie: Your favorite place in Michigan?

Michael: Not to sound like to much of a cliché but my favorite place in Michigan is my home. I live on 14 wooded acres outside of the city of Lapeer. It’s quiet and peaceful. A great place to write and it suits my family and me down to the ground.

Debbie: Favorite Michigan event or happening?

Michael: My favorite Michigan happening is the changing of the seasons and my favorite season is autumn. I love to watch the leaves change, the Indian summer days, the smell of apples and the start of High School football season. There is just so much to enjoy in this great state year round, but especially in autumn I think.

Debbie: A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Michael: I would say my mom.

Debbie: Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about our state?

Michael: I would like non-Michiganders to realize that the winters here aren’t as bad as they’re made out to be. Sure January and February can be cold and snowy but that’s usually the worst of it. It’s not like we’re International Falls, Minnesota or anything. And snow? Talk to someone in Buffalo.

Debbie: Some residents of Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders; others Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: Are you a "Michigander" or a "Michiganian"?

Michael: I prefer Michiganian. Michigander sounds like a goose. Although sometimes when I’m doing school visits with middle schoolers I refer to my self as a Michigansta! You know, to get that hip-hop vibe going.

Debbie: Thanks, Michael, for joining us today! (And I have to say, your answer to the "fun Michigan people" question definitely wins the award for sweetest answer ever.)

Folks wanting to know more about Michael's new book, his picture books, and his Spy Goddess books should head on over to his web site for more info.

1 comment:

Boni Ashburn said...

"NO snow"????

I think Michael needs to talk to someone in the U.P.... In fact, send me this nice man's address- I'll ship him some snow. Real soon!

Just kidding :)

Good luck with your new releases, Michael!!