Monday, August 18, 2008

Public Service Announcement

If you have comcast.net email, and if you use a mail reader on your hard drive to read your mail (that is, if you download your email to something like Windows Mail, rather than viewing your mail through a Web browser) then I thought I'd pass along a little info. (All others ignore this post.)

I have several email accounts, and I manage them all by using my computer's mail reader, Windows Mail. Starting yesterday evening and through today, I found that though my mail reader was checking my comcast.net email account (that is, going through the finding/authorizing/connecting process), I wasn't receiving any email. At first I didn't think anything of it, as I got a nice "No new messages" statement. But then it seemed weird that there was no mail at all. So I logged in to my email account via the comcast.net page, and discovered that I had a dozen plus messages.

I was glad to have found them -- but I prefer reading my mail through my mail reader, so I knew I wanted to fix whatever glitch was keeping us apart.

I contacted the Comcast Help Desk via email and was told that due to a change to something called "Smart Zone," I needed to change my incoming POP3 server setting to sz-pop.mail.comcast.net. No other changes were needed. I did this, but still no email on my reader. I then called the help desk. I spoke to a very pleasant person who, unfortunately, had never even heard of Smart Zone. (I get the feeling there are some communication gaps at Comcast....) So I gave up, figured I'd call back in a few weeks and see if there was a solution. But, ever the optimist (ha!), I tried downloading via Windows Mail again with the s-z port -- and it worked! Cross fingers, looks like I'm all set now.

But I wanted to pass on word to fellow comcast.net email folks, because you might find yourself in a similar situation and not realize it. That is, you might get a "No new messages" message and think you have no mail -- when in fact, you have mail, you just don't know it. It's waiting for you over in the "Smart Zone" (!). If that's the case, it's now my understanding that you will need to change your incoming mail server, circle around your desk chair three times counterclockwise, throw pixie dust in the air, and then, Voila!, your mail will arrive.

Ah, the marvels of technology.

2 comments:

Joolie said...

thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been trying different words in my preferences box to try to get mail to download, and was loath to talk to Comcast - what a maze of bad communication. Thanks for the information!

Debbie Diesen said...

Glad it helped! Since I've made the change, I've had a few times I haven't been able to log on, but for the most part it seems to be working (knock wood!).