Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rainy Words On A Sunny Day

On my way to looking up something else (I'm one of those people who gets easily distracted by the pages of an open dictionary), I found a word that's new to me: pluvial. My dictionary defines it as an adjective, "of or pertaining to rain, esp. much rain; rainy," but I also see in an online dictionary (Merriam-Webster online) that it can be a noun, a "prolonged period of wet climate." (Sounds like a synonym for Seattle.)


If you like the sound of pluvial, you may also like its rhymes fluvial (of or pertaining to a river) and alluvial (of or pertaining to alluvium, which is a deposit of sediment formed by flowing water).


Any other fun water or mud words I should know about?

1 comment:

Ann Finkelstein said...

I can’t wait to read the poem that includes those three words.

I knew alluvial from my past dinosaur readings. Some of the best fossils are found in former alluvial plains.