Monday, July 21, 2008

Michigander Monday: Kelly DiPucchio


This Monday's Michigander is Kelly DiPucchio. Let's get to know her!

Debbie asks: Tell us a little about yourself.

Kelly replies: I'm pretty sure I'm the only person at the gym who has Barry Manilow downloaded to her iPod. I have one husband, two brothers, three kids, four house plants, five unfinished novels, six excuses for why I can't finish a novel, and seven published picture books. I love reading, shopping, coffee, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzards, surfing the web, and movies. I dislike cooking, shaving my legs, and talking about myself.


Debbie: And, of course, we want to know all about your latest book!

Kelly: My latest book is called SIPPING SPIDERS THROUGH A STRAW (Scholastic Press). It's a collection of campfire songs for monsters. The uber-dark and twisty Gris Grimly illustrated the book and the art is wonderfully wicked. I had wayyyy too much fun writing this poetry collection. What other career pays you to write about goons in underwear? Well..maybe we shouldn't go there.


Debbie: And your other books, and any books and projects on the horizon.

Kelly: BED HOGS (Disney-Hyperion) won the Michigan Reads! award in 2006, which was very pig news. GRACE FOR PRESIDENT (Disney-Hyperion), illustrated by the lovely and talented LeUyen Pham, came out in February and spent four weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. That was quite a thrill. My next book is called, HOW TO POTTY TRAIN YOUR MONSTER (Disney-Hyperion). From politics to poop. Hmmmm..that's a stretch.

Debbie: Your favorite place in Michigan?

Kelly: I love the Traverse City area. I live in south-eastern Michigan where the topography pretty much consists of one elevation - flat, so it's refreshing to see a little variety in the landscape. And any place that has a beautiful beach, charming stores, good chocolate and better wine, is pretty much my definition of paradise.

Debbie: Favorite Michigan event or happening?

Kelly: Spring!


Debbie: A few fun Michigan people we should all know about?

Kelly: I visit a lot of schools in Michigan which gives me the opportunity to meet so many fun, funny, wonderful teachers. I'd like to tip my writer's cap to all of those dedicated, patient souls who somehow manage to maintain a bright and sunny disposition in battle field of education day after day.


Debbie: Something you'd like a non-Michigander to know about our state.

Kelly: There's more to our state than automobiles, crime, and a losing football team.

Debbie: Some residents of Michigan refer to themselves as Michiganders; others Michiganians. For our ongoing vote tally: Are you a "Michigander" or a"Michiganian"?

Kelly: I'm more inclined to say I'm a "Michigander" but a "gander" is a male goose. A female goose is just a goose, so I guess that makes me a "Michigoose"?

Debbie: Thanks, Kelly, for being this week's Michigoose!

No comments: