Friday, July 4, 2008

Michigan Reads -- A Great Program For Which I Can Take No Credit....

A quick but important clarification:

I was interviewed recently for a profile piece on WCMU Radio. It was a wonderful experience, and I was honored by the opportunity to speak about my book and my writing. I will write more about the experience, and about the great folks at WCMU, in a few days.

At the time of the interview I was, as you can imagine, more than a little nervous. I'm not the best of public speakers (probably why I went into writing...!). When I was being interviewed, one of the questions was about my involvement with children's literacy efforts. Literacy is something I feel very strongly about and try to incorporate into my writing and my story times; in addition, I also feel very passionately about the tremendous writing and illustrating talent pool we have here in Michigan.

Trying to think on my feet, I mentioned the Michigan Reads program, and Nancy Shaw's book Raccoon Tune. But my clumsiness in answering left the impression that I am involved with Michigan Reads. That was not in any way due to interviewer error, but rather was my mistake in expressing myself.

So I just want to make clear that, though I very much think the program is a great one -- and I'm a huge Nancy Shaw fan! -- I don't take any credit for the wonderful Michigan Reads program. It's a Library of Michigan program: learn more here. By following the link, in addition to learning more about Nancy Shaw and Raccoon Tune, you can read about past Michigan Reads authors Leslie Helakoski, Kelly DiPucchio, and Rhonda Gowler Greene -- terrific writers, every one.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled 4th of July! :)

No comments: