Saturday, July 26, 2008

Getting Rid of Old Favorites

Those of you who know me can attest to the fact that I'm a fifty-fifty split of "super-organized" and "total slob." For those of you who don't know me, suffice it to say that I'm a self-contained Odd Couple. But lately, the Oscar aspect of me (the slob, for you non-TV watchers) has been threatening to become the bigger half, so I'm thinking it's time for Felix take back some territory.

I don't know how Felix approached things, but baby steps tend to work best for me. So today I took on the small project of cleaning up my Favorites folder in my web browser. Before the clean-up, I had probably 200 links spread across 20 or 25 folders, with most of the folders labeled by topic. For all the ostensive organization of this system, it was really quite a mess.

So I streamlined. I reduced the number of topic folders to just a handful, and kept only the truly useful links in those folders. And then for the array of blogs and misc. sites that I periodically visit, many of which are difficult to classify by topic, I used a functional approach. Places I like to visit every couple of days or so are now in a folder labeled "Daily." There's also a "Weekly" and a "Monthly." I don't intend to treat the daily/weekly/monthly labels as schedule setters, but they do make useful umbrellas under which to arrange things.

Now I'm feeling so Felixy that I'm off to tackle my junk drawer!

1 comment:

Boni Ashburn said...

Could you please come do my computer desk next? It's, er, rather out-of-control. My Oscar is holding my Felix hostage...