Thursday, July 24, 2008

2009 CWIM

It'll sound too much like I'm tooting my own horn if I mention that the 2009 Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market, now available at your favorite bookseller, includes a profile of yours truly in the "First Books" section. So I won't mention that you'll find that piece starting on p. 141.

What I will tell you is that you can read about the talented and very funny Dan Hanna in his "First Books" profile (see p. 144), and, as a bonus, get to see the cover and several interior pages of The Pout-Pout Fish. Don't miss Dan's "Tips for Getting Published" on p. 146.

You can also get to know Boni Ashburn (p. 139) and Sue Thoms (p. 136) -- who are both absolutely fabulous people who happen to live here in Michigan -- in their respective "First Books" profiles. Another Michigander, Lisa Wheeler, has an article "Great Opening Lines in Picture Books" (p. 37).

Editor Andrew Karre, who doesn't know me from adam but who last fall gave me some very useful feedback on my YA novel manuscript (which I'm still plugging away on...) writes about YA Fiction on pp. 78-82.

And there's so much more -- more articles, plus oodles of market and agent info -- but if I list everything, this blog post will be as long as CWIM itself. Suffice it to say that if you're a children's book writer or illustrator, you should probably think about taking a look at this resource, if you haven't already.

And we should all thank Alice Pope daily for putting it all together. Thank you!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Thanks so much for the CWIM mention and double thanks for being a great First Books subject. Look for a First Book mention in the CWIM newsletter that will be mailing tomorrow.